Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Packed Tower Simulation Help

hysys packed tower

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SebaSB

SebaSB

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Good day,
I need to simulate in Hysys a packed tower with the chemical reaction of neutralization of chlorine.

Would someone have a manual or web that could guide me in the design?

Regards

#2 VeryProfessionalEngineer

VeryProfessionalEngineer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

I'm not familiar with Chlorine neutralization, but I have designed packed Caustic scrubbers for H2S and done so using Excel. We plugged in a conservative absorption rate (in units of weight/time*area), vendor packing data (Area/Volume), pipe diameter, and used feed and product specifications to create a log mean H2S concentration differential (similar to LMTD), and used this to estimate the height of packing required. The log mean concentration difference would be to make up for the reduced reaction rate as your reactant concentration is reduced as the gas reaches the top of the column. The caustic solution requirement was determined by stoichiometry, but the concentration of the gas phase was the major time-limiting step for us. We then iterated this several different types and diameters of packing, and plugged the resulting top and bottom tray traffic into KG-Tower (free online download here) to make sure the sizing was OK. 

If you have good data on the absorption rate and the reaction is fast, then I wouldn't bother with a process simulator. However, I could be wrong and perhaps HYSYS is a bit more user friendly to this application than I have seen in the past.