Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cooling Utilities

process design heat exchanger rule of thumbs heat integration utilities

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:12 AM

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you about cooling utilities:

Generally cooling water is used when you want to cool a stream to around 18. If you want to cool a stream between 18C and 5C what cooling medium you can use?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

Chillers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiller

#3 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

So you mean that chillers are used for temperatures from 0C to 15C and refrigerants below 0. Am I right?

#4 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

A chiller can already be one that use the refrigeration cycle. A refrigerator uses another fluid that can reach an even lower temperature. So in a way, yes and no. A chiller can use a refrigerant or can even just use glycol water, if you dont count that as actually a refrigerant...

Edited by thorium90, 21 July 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#5 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

Ok it is clear! One final question just to be 100% sure, the lowest temperature in which cooling water can be used is about 20oC?

Thank you for all the answers!!

#6 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Air cooling tower uses air, so it depends on the climate in the country. The wet and dry bulb temperature is understandably different at different places. Therefore, generally cooling towers can't go that low and maintain that low temperatures because of its dependence to the area's climate.

#7 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

It would depend where you are.  I have worked on cooling towers that could not get supply temperatures below 30ÂșC due to high wet bulb temperatures (USGC, ME, Southern Europe, Southeast Asia)

#8 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

panoskagiou:

Please stop making duplicate postings of the same topic (and Title) to the Forums.  This is creating a lot of confusion and extra work for our members.  It is needless, silly, redundant, and serves only to confuse.  If you don't know how to post queries, read the instructions or ask us.

Also, you are obviously a student and posting a simple, basic process question in the Simulation Forum - which doesn't apply to your query.  That is why I have moved both threads to the Student Forum where this type of question belongs.

Now, please answer this question: which of the threads do you want me to delete?

Await your response.