Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Improving Reboiler Performance

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jigs1980

jigs1980

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

We have stripping steam as well as reboiler for stripper to improve the flash point of the diesel. The flash point is not getting achieved while diesel production is more (i.e. 210 M3/hr), but the flash point improves, when diesel production is less (i.e. 160 M3/hr.). The steam is checked from drain and it is free from condensate. The stripping steam is also maximized, but no change in the flash point. The operating heat flux was calculated (i.e. 25000 W/m2). I think it is well below the allowable heat flux for thermosyphon reboiler. So, what could be the cause of poor stripping at higher load? 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

You didn't really convey much information. So, start over and give us details on the operation. We have no idea what you are talking about when you say steam is checked from drain. What steam? What Drain? A sketch might help, too.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

Hi ,

Thanks if you share with us a P&ID together with information about the quality of the steam ( saturated , superheated ) and other parameters related to your operation and maybe the spec sheet of the thermosyphon .

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 27 July 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#4 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

Agree you need to provide more detail - but I would be suspicious about column flooding at the higher diesel rates, and your reboiling/stripping steam may not be high enough.  They need to increase by the same amount as the throughput.

#5 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:54 AM

maybe you increase the diesel production by including too much light material (ie kero) in it.

#6 rdcrags

rdcrags

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

What is the destination of the stripped diesel? Diesel hydrotreater? Tank and then hydrotreater? Tank, and then diesel blending system?