Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Estimate Vacuum Formed In Vessel

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 clarenceyue

clarenceyue

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:27 AM

Dear members,

I am currently sizing a rupture disk that can relieve both pressure and vacuum (Continental CAL-VAC type). The pressure setting is set as the design pressure of vessel which is 3.5 barg (50 psig). The vessel is also designed for a vacuum pressure of -0.7 barg.

The vacuum scenario could occur supposing that the vessel (normally vented to the atmosphere) and is 90% full of water, is isolated (V-1, V-3, V-6 are closed) and only the bottom outlet to a pump is open (V-2 is open). The pump is operates normally at 14 m3/hr, with TDH 50 m W.C.

My initial estimate to determine the gas space pressure is to use the ideal gas law based on isothermal conditions prevailing, i.e.:

P1 * V1 = P2 * V2 => P2 (final gas space pressure) = V1/V2 * P1 = 0.1*Vtank / 1*Vtank * (14.7 psia) = 1.47 psia

However, I was told by my senior that one could use the pump motor power / differential head to determine the maximum vacuum formed. But I have no idea how this could be carried out, or if this suggestion is correct in the first place.

I would like to see your advice on how best to approach this issue of estimating the maximum vacuum formed.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:58 PM

The volume of vapour in the vessel will expand at the rate of the pump.  Then PV=nRT with n constant.  V grows, P and T will drop, according to the thermodynamics of the fluid in question.  

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

https://www.eng-tips....cfm?qid=325970

Hello clarenceyue,

You may find good pointers using the link attached .

hope this is helping you .

Breizh

#4 clarenceyue

clarenceyue

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

Hi Technical Bard and Breizh,

Thanks for your help and pointers. I have done the estimation based on the suggestion in the link provided by Breizh.

Currently, we await the confirmation / comments from our technical solutions colleagues to see if this is a reasonable estimate for the case in point.