Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Simulation Of Conventional Column In A Different Way

distillation column heat removal reboiler duty condenser duty heat tranfser

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

Hello engineers. I would like to ask you your help in a simulation. What I am trying to do is to simulate the conventional column of a simple binary mixture with a different way. Let me start explain you:

First of all in a conventional column, the energy is added at high temperature in the bottom and it is removed at low temperature in the top of the column. By using reboiler and condenser, recpesctively. 

What I want to try is to design the same column, but without reboiler and condenser. I want to remove the heat of condenser from the rectifier section, while to remove heat to the stripper section. Particularly, I am planning to specify the temperature in each stage (these tempeature can be obtained from the conventional column) and then I will have as target to find the duty that is needed in order to achieve this temperature, And with that way, I want to see if the duty that is removed from the rectifier is same as the condenser duty and if the duty that is transferred to the stripper is the same as the reboiler duty. 

Could you please give some assistant how I could it this in ASPEN PLUS or ASPEN Hysys?

Thank you in advance!

#2 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:09 PM

Hello,

If will start your calculations you will find that these are not the same because of feed heat flow to column and heat that is removed from column with distillate and residue.

Regards,

Nikolai

#3 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:32 AM

with the process simulators and thermodynamic libraries which I know you can add/remove heat on different stages, as well as include (or not) a condenser and a rebolier,

about to compare values, since the distillation unit solves heat and mass balances, at convergence you'll (probably) obtain different values with different inputs,

if you wish to investigate how these procedures work maybe the automatic procedures coded in simulators are not the best option,

maybe you may consider the simple procedures dwesigned for binary mixtures...

#4 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

Thank you for their replies! Nikolai, I did not get your point. 

Serra, what I can understand for your answer is that I will face convergence issues. I would like to ask you what do you mean about the simple procedures designed for binary mixtures?

Thank you in advance!

#5 serra

serra

Gold Member

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:00 AM

no, you can converge column (solving heat & mass balance for all stages) but obtain different results cause (for a multistage unit) t, w (in different stages) depend from feed but also from the way you add / remove heat, you can include a condenser, a rebolier or add / remove heat in different stages...

before to start numerical experiments try to figure out how the unit works,

for binary mixtures you can start, for example, with a McCabe-Thiele diagram but many  simple procedures are available...

#6 panoskagiou

panoskagiou

Gold Member

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Serra, also I want to use simple procedures first, but I cannot really understand how the Mccabe Thiele can be valid for the case that we dicuss.