Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Power Augmentation In Gas Turbines

gas turbinespower augmentation turbophase h25 pressurized air injection efficiency turbine

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mujadid ul Hassan

Mujadid ul Hassan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:52 PM

I've been recently assigned with the task to increase power capacity by 6~8 MW for our process plant, either by adding a small power generator/turbine, or by modifying existing Gas turbines to increase output.

We currently MHPS' two H25(32) Gas Turbines each having capacity of 32 MW at ISO conditions. At ambient conditions, these turbines generate 23 MW power. The 2 gas turbines are accompanied by a Steam Turbine Generator that produces 12~13 MW power. The total power generation capacity of CCPP is 58~59 MW.

I've explored various options for power augmentation, which includes inlet air cooling, pressurized fogging, over-fogging, Pressurized air injection, solar power, additional steam turbines, additional gas turbines.

Amongst all these options, I found pressurized air injection the most suitable one for our  need. Powerphase™ offers a product named Turbo-phase ( I hope I'm not breaching any copyright term here, as it is a commercial product of Power-phase, and basic details are easily available on internet), which incorporates a secondary air compressor (gas engine operated) that supplies 5% additional air at the outlet of GT's compressor, hence increasing air's mass flow and density in the combustion chamber, which in turn increases output of turbine. the temperature and pressure of air from secondary generator (Turbophase module) is is same as that at compressor discharge. the heat from exhaust gas of turbophase module is used to heat the compressed air

One Turbo-phase Module (TPM, includes Gas Engine, Air compressor, Recuperator, and control panel) is capable to increase power output by 4 MW approx. 2 TPMs can be installed on our CCP to give an overall output gain of 8 MW. the system is neutral to heat rate, as the gas utilized by TPM is compensated by reduced consumption in Gas turbine (as stated by vendor)

After giving a brief overview, let me come to the main reason for writing this post. We've done a preliminary evaluation and found this option viable from technical or process point of view. The vendor is also giving guarantees for the performance.

However,I am in search of users of such technology, who could share their experience with such modifications and what were the outcomes. Was there any unforeseen outcome that was faced during execution.

Requesting all the members of this website to respond who've installed Turbo-phase (or similar air injection methodology) at their power plants and share their views.

Regards

Mujadid ul Hassan