Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Npsh Dependence On Temperature

temperature pump npsh requested;

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Aznadif

Aznadif

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

We all know, when we talk about pumps, that the value of NPSH available is strongly temperature dependent (by the vapor pressure value of the treated fluid).

Does anyone have experience on how varies NPSH,req with temperature? In the normal pump performance curves, this parameter is drawn as a function of the flow rate considering a specific fluid and a fixed condition of temperature and pressure.

My problem arises because I should use a pump of which I have the performance curve for the same fluid and same pressure (also the flow rate is practically the same), but with a lower temperature (the pump was used at 55 °C but in the future we would use it at 80 °C). Starting from the layout of the system, I can calculate the value of NPSH,av but with which value of NPSH,req could I compare?

Having no experience I can not evaluate whether I can consider the value of NPSH,req constant when the T changes or if this is an unacceptable approximation.

Who is experienced in pumps or who has worked in a pump manufacturing company could give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

Aznadif,

The temperature of the Liquid impacts the NPSH req of a pump. As the pumping liquid temperature increases, the size of the vapor bubbles due to cavitation get smaller, hence leading to lesser damage.

For instance, at a water temperature of 100 degrees C, the NPSH req value will be reduced by almost 0.3 m, at the same other conditions.

Then this effect actually provides a small increment in the actual NPSH margin.  Thus, don't worry about the NPSH req at higher operating temperature and just calculate the NPSH av at the new temperature without correction in NPSH req.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi ,

To support your query , together will Naser ,

Breizh

https://blog.craneen...is-it-important

Edited by breizh, 26 October 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#4 Aznadif

Aznadif

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Thanks to Naser and Breizh