Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reactor Design

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 dimascameeo

dimascameeo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:48 AM

Hello all,

I want to ask and discuss about reactor design. Could we make the batch process into continous process? or is possible to scale up from batch reactor into continuous reactor with the same variable (such as conversion, volume, and residence time)?

When I'm in college, my lecturer teach me just how to make batch process into continous process with Gantt Chart method (but still using batch reactor).

Thank you for helping me!

Regards,

D.

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:02 PM

That would depend.  A continuous process depends on being able to add feed and remove product efficiently.  Many biochemical processes do not work when you do this (fermentation, for example), because they depend on a declining composition of a feedstock to limit the growth of the biological agent.  For other processes, there is no way to remove the product without removing alot of other material at the same time (for instance with liquid catalysts).  Changing from batch to continuous can be easy, or it can be nigh impossible.  Depends on the situation.

#3 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:41 AM

Batch reactors could be replaced with several (usually 3~6 ) CSTR's(continuous stirred tank reactors), PFR(plug flow reactor), or any combination of these for continuous operation. Multiple batch reactors can also be connected and operated continuously in sequential mode as scheduled in a Gantt Chart. The conversion may depend on the residence time of the reaction in the reactors.  

Applicability of each alternate reaction scheme shall be checked against unique characteristic process factors such as "induction period", "the degree of conversion or polymerization",  "the cost of separation and recycling of the residual component", "life cycle of active ingredient", "survival curve", etc. 

Hoping the above helps,

~Stefano

Edited by sgkim, 12 November 2018 - 12:43 AM.