Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crude Oil Desalting System Modelling In Hysys

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CHEMSTRONG

CHEMSTRONG

Gold Member

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

Dear Sir,

I have got light crude oil two stage desalting system with wash water addition in desalter.

I want to know about crude oil desalting system modelling in hysys. I have used carry over tab in separator option for separation of crude oil and water also. I have configured interface level controller also for water

But I could not show separation of salts. I have shown mixing valve delta P with dummy valve with pressure drop , larger delta p for second stage desalter and less pressure drop for first stage desalter .

Best Regards,

Chetan Chavan

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

I wouldn't waste my time doing this in HYSYS. Just use a spreadsheet.  HYSYS will also assume 100% contact efficiency between the wash water and the connate water (salty brine) droplets in the oil, which won't be true.  The reality will be that your contact efficiency will be between 70 and 85%, depending on your oil properties, chemical blend and mixing valve.  

#3 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:12 AM

i don't know the scope of your simulation, but i can comment as follows:

- ok for quantity of wash water and pressure drop thru the mixing valve. you can follow the real (realistic) heat, material and pressure balances

- just add a control to leave in the outlet crude the concentration of water guaranteed by the desalter vendor

- the salts doesn't enter in this kind of simulation. for instance, you can't simulate their thermal decomposition with consequent generation of HCl and the relevant corrosion effects on the top of the topping tower

good luck!