Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

High Temperature Water Gas Shift Reactor

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Nur8

Nur8

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:45 AM

Hi, 

need to design a high temperature water gas shift reactor. I already have the weight of catalyst required and its size. I am not really sure how to start the sizing of reactor. It is a packed bed reactor. Which equations should I used to design it? Is there any books that show the method of doing it step by step? I have been searching how to work it out but I could not find one. Thanks. 

Edited by Nur8, 18 February 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#2 FRBChemE

FRBChemE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Usually catalytic reactors are designed on the basis of "space velocity"  Consult the book "Chemical Reaction Engineering" by Levenspeil.

The was a very good article published in Chemical Engineering Magazine about 30 years ago when McGraw-Hill owned the magazine.  I'll see if I have it on file. 

Generally the vessel is a packed bed.  Some times a sphere with a packed bed in the middle.  Flow is down thru the bed and support is aluminum balls of a supported mesh.

#3 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

Somewhere in this multi-page topic I have given advice about design of HTS reactor:

https://www.cheresou...-reformer-unit/

#4 FRBChemE

FRBChemE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

Try these references; Sizing CO shift converters Chemical Engineering May 19, 1969 Page 185  

and Design of water-gas shift reactors  Chemical Engineering Progress March 1962 page 33.

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

Please confirm that you are discussing the PHYSICAL SIZE of the shift converter when you use the term “design”.  Everyone responding is alluding to a Process Design, but you have stated that you already know the amount of catalyst required (whether calculated correctly or not) and you want to know the size (diameter and height) of the shift converter vessel.  Be aware that there are two types of design: Process and Mechanical.  Please confirm that you are asking for the Mechanical design.

Am I correct?  There are no engineering “equations” to find diameter and height of the required vessel.  There are a lot of equations for designing the mechanical strength and fabrication of the same vessel.  To do the complete mechanical design, you need an experienced mechanical engineer to do the required, total ASME mechanical design.  Our membership, to my knowledge, has little or no experience in doing this.  If you know the catalyst quantity, you can obtain its bulk density.  My experience is that you should use an acceptable superficial velocity to estimate the minimum vessel diameter.  The superficial velocity is usually an experience factor and one that gives a reasonable pressure drop without catalyst bed attrition or movement.  Knowing the bulk density, you obtain the height of the vessel.

#6 sai.krr

sai.krr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 12:36 PM

Try these references; Sizing CO shift converters Chemical Engineering May 19, 1969 Page 185
and Design of water-gas shift reactors Chemical Engineering Progress March 1962 page 33.

#7 sai.krr

sai.krr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 12:36 PM

Can you please send these papers ? Email: krr_iocl@hotmail.com

Thanks