Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Conversion So2 Catalytic Reactor

reactor performance simulation temperature extothermic reaction heat

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 tgugcl

tgugcl

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the performance of a catalytic SO2 to SO3 reactor by using the measured outlet temperatures of the real reactor.

The reaction is exothermic.To properly dissipate the heat and obtain a high conversion in the reactor the process gas is cooled by exchanging heat with molten salts. 

There are temperature indicators at the inlet and outlet of the reactor and heat exchanger. 

I am using a Equilibrium based reaction set. Heat of reaction is known. The inlet and outlet temperature of the process gas is a given. How can I make HYSYS calculate the overall conversion based on the outlet temperature of the reactor?

Thank you

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:34 PM

It should be a simple task for you. Try something.

Bobby

#3 FRBChemE

FRBChemE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

I have been reading an ancient text,  Lewis, Radasch, and Lewis`s Industrial Stoichiometry, McGraw Hill Book Co Second Edition 1954 page 186 has exactly the problem you are lookin at.   

#4 ChinmoyBasak

ChinmoyBasak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:29 AM

As Bobby Sir said the problem is trivial(at least the formulation) if you have a background in ChemE.

First thing should come up is you need kinatics.

If kinetics is dependent on temperature then you would need temperature curve along the reactor with sample point in each to find local concentration.

When you have these you can equip an existing kinetics data or can fit you own.

There are multiple shortcuts.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

#5 FRBChemE

FRBChemE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

ChinmoyBasak:

You are correct, but I think that approach is much more sophisticated than tgugcl need.  The equilibrium comes within a few degrees calculated by the following equation.  Log10(K) = 5186.5/T +0.611*Log10(T)-6.7497.  With an analysis of the exit gas and a few minutes with a good calculator, you can get temperature of the exit gas.