Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vent Gas Treating System For Very Low Pressure Gas

separation scrubber quenching

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mahdi Malek Alaie

Mahdi Malek Alaie

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:23 AM

Dear All,

I am working on design a Vent Gas Treating System for removal of Chlorine and HCl from the flue gas. the temperature of gas is 550 C, so the gas temperature is to be firstly reduced by a quench tower. the gas is further passed through a caustic packed scrubber to emission removal.

Everything is clear expect one ! the pressure of gas is between 0 - 0.017 bar and we don not allowed to use a blower in up or downstream. the pressure drop of the quench tower is fairly low (1.5 in.WC). However, the packed tower impose a higher pressure drop.

Is everyone know any provisions to overcome this concern? Could the gas pass through the system with 

zero bar pressure?

I attached the related UOP requisition.

Many thanks !

Attached Files

#2 PhilippM

PhilippM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:30 AM

I don't know how high the total pressure drop over quench and packed tower will be, but as the "System process gas inlet is stable and is between Zero bar (g and 0.017bar (g)" you can't have any pressure drop. You either need to raise the pressure at the inlet or lower the pressure at the outlet. For the latter, you can use an eductor/injector (as blowers are not allowed), there are also systems that achieve the gas scrubbing with such a jet:

https://www.koerting...t-scrubber.html

Edited by PhilippM, 18 September 2019 - 04:38 AM.