Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pump In Series

centrifugal pump reciprocating produced water gas processing

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sid@3669

sid@3669

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

Dear Sirs,

I work in a gas processing industry and in gas processing we generate produced water which is treated and injected back into well. 

In existing we have two pumps and two tanks for produced water storage tank. One pump is centrifugal and one pump is reciprocating type. At present we pump at 90 barg for injection.

However there is an increase in the injection pressure to 210 barg, we plan to install new pump in series to achieve the same.

I had the following queries whether:

• Two reciprocating plunger type pumps can be installed in series and its impact if they are installed.
  • The first pump Reciprocating plunger type and the second pump centrifugal in series and its impact.
  • the first pump centrifugal and the second pump reciprocating plunger type and its impact.

Kindly request to provide views on the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Siddhant

#2 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:11 AM

My views on your system:

What kind of flowrates are you talking about, please give us a little bit more information about the system.

Anyway, I have never seen a centrifugal pump and reciprocating pump in same application i.e. a centrifugal pump is used for high flow-low head and a reciprocating pump is used for low flow-high head.

When we require, high flow-high head, which is your case, we generally go for centrifugal multi-stage or centrifugal pump in series.

I have never seen a reciprocating pump in series with centrifugal pump and vice versa. Having said that I might be wrong.

Just remember when pumps are in series the flow will be governed by the pump having least capacity.

Regards

#3 Rahimzadeh

Rahimzadeh

Gold Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

I have worked with such system  in iran.

we have gas treating plant that uae two pumps in sereis for circulation amin,but fist pump was low head centrifugal pump with discharge pressure of 5 barg and second pump was recirpoating pump with dischrge pressure of 58 barg.

#4 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:55 AM

I have worked with such system  in iran.

we have gas treating plant that uae two pumps in sereis for circulation amin,but fist pump was low head centrifugal pump with discharge pressure of 5 barg and second pump was recirpoating pump with dischrge pressure of 58 barg.

Hi Rahimzadeh,

Can you specify the logic of using a centrifugal pump in series with a reciprocating pump.

What kind of Flow and head was required by your system.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

#5 sid@3669

sid@3669

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

My views on your system:

What kind of flowrates are you talking about, please give us a little bit more information about the system.

Anyway, I have never seen a centrifugal pump and reciprocating pump in same application i.e. a centrifugal pump is used for high flow-low head and a reciprocating pump is used for low flow-high head.

When we require, high flow-high head, which is your case, we generally go for centrifugal multi-stage or centrifugal pump in series.

I have never seen a reciprocating pump in series with centrifugal pump and vice versa. Having said that I might be wrong.

Just remember when pumps are in series the flow will be governed by the pump having least capacity.

Regards

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your response. In all cases the flowrate is 30m3/hr with discharge of first pump at 90 barg and that of second pump at 220barg.

Regards,

SIddhant Gupta

#6 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

My views on your system:

Regards

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your response. In all cases the flowrate is 30m3/hr with discharge of first pump at 90 barg and that of second pump at 220barg.

Regards,

SIddhant Gupta

Refer the following link:

http://www.oilngaspr...n-criteria.html

The same chart is also available in GPSA.

Based on my earlier response, muti stage centrifugal pump would be good for your service.

Just a question for you, can you tell why are you guys thinking about centrifugal and reciprocating pump in series.

Edited by Chemitofreak, 25 September 2019 - 04:34 AM.

#7 sid@3669

sid@3669

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

My views on your system:

Regards

Dear Sir,

Regards,

SIddhant Gupta

Based on my earlier response, muti stage centrifugal pump would be good for your service.

Just a question for you, can you tell why are you guys thinking about centrifugal and reciprocating pump in series.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply. 

We are thinking the configuration because we have existing pumps for two tanks. For one tank we have reciprocating pump and for the other tank we have centrifugal pump, so keeping the existing pumps intact we plan to install booster pumps on the outlet of these pumps to increase the injection pressure.

Regards,

Siddhant Gupta

#8 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:58 AM

My views on your system:

Regards

Dear Sir,

Regards,

SIddhant Gupta

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply. 

We are thinking the configuration because we have existing pumps for two tanks. For one tank we have reciprocating pump and for the other tank we have centrifugal pump, so keeping the existing pumps intact we plan to install booster pumps on the outlet of these pumps to increase the injection pressure.

Regards,

Siddhant Gupta

Thanks for the response.

For the Centrifugal pump you will indeed need a booster pump.

For the Reciprocating Pump get in touch with the vendor of the pump and tell him the whole story and see what his response is. An ideal reciprocating pump can develop infinite head, and hence we have safety valve at the discharge to protect against blocked outlet. Check what is the design pressure of the pump and it's internals. Worst case you might need to change the existing reciprocating pump with a new one.

Regards

Edited by Chemitofreak, 26 September 2019 - 01:01 AM.