Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Vertical Condenser

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Orzelgorskiego

Orzelgorskiego

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

Hello,

I need to design two condensers for the II stage of evaporator and I am wondering how to do that.

One condenser will be used after the second stage of the evaporator and one for non condensable gases connected to the first stage.

I am wondering whether it is possible use counter current flow for the both condensers? 

Do you think that can work?  Because previously I was making only co current flow vertical condensers? 1 pass

Which condenser type is better A or B? Please see the attached file.

If I will use only co current flow vertical condensers for the evaporators will it work?

Could somebody show me  where I can find some information about the vertical condensers?

Thank you very much for help.

Tomasz

Attached Files

Edited by Orzelgorskiego, 04 October 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#2 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

Hi, Tomasz, 

First condenser is to condense most of the vapor in the feed and the second is to subcool the noncondensables.  In the first condenser, most of the latent heat shall be removed and the condensate preferably flow downward in the tube.   Then the vapor inlet nozzle is better to be connected on top of the condenser (as Case B), and the counter-current configuration will maximize the LMTD.    

The same idea may be applied for the second condenser for the lower outlet temperature of noncondensables.  The surface area of the fist would be much larger than the second,  Refer to a heat exchanger rating engineer for the optimal design of the whole system.

Stefano Kim

#3 Orzelgorskiego

Orzelgorskiego

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:14 AM

Hi Stefano,

Thank you very much for the answer.

Tomasz G

Reply to this topic