Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Formaldehyd Scrubber/column

venturi spray scrubber packed column

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Xambis

Xambis

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

Dear Cheresources Community, 

This is my first post and I am having some issues with a  ongoing regarding gas scrubbing/columns for particulate matter and gas absorption. 

The goal is to clean a fairly large  gas flow rate from a diluted particulate matter and formaldehyde concentration. The inlet values are for 400000 m³/h , 200 mg/m³ and 45 mg/m³ respectively. The outlet goal is < 30 mg/m³ and 10 mg/m³ respectively. 

Now, the particulate matter scrubbing is planned to be done by a venturi or spray tower (depends on PSD) and until now a few vendors have suggested one or 2-4 absorption columns for Formaldehyd-Absorption using water as solvent. 

I have read quite a few Information about Formaldehyd and its simultaneous reaction with water. However, according to henrys-law.org there are a few Henry-constants that have indeed accounted for hydration reaction and have fairly small values. I have regressed the BI -parameters for NRTL and UNIQUAC based on experimental data and also conclude to a fairly good absorption in water. 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience on mass transfer rates in the Venturi or Spray tower and if you think a fairly expensive packed column can be avoided. Unfortunately the vendors refuse to really take a closer look as the project itself is in an early stage. 

I appreciate your answers 

Best 

Xambis, Chemical Engineer 

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

Based on the numbers you have mentioned, I would agree that venturi scrubber is a very reasonable option to use.

#3 Xambis

Xambis

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:07 PM

I would also go with a venturi or a spray tower, however I need to quantify that in terms of mass transfer.  

Best 

Xambis

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:27 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what you expect from us . I've attached some literature to support  your work .

https://www3.epa.gov...ts/fventuri.pdf

Note : You will find other documents issued by Ankur using the search engine in this Forum .

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 06 December 2019 - 03:23 AM.

#5 Xambis

Xambis

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

Hello Breizh, 

Thank you very much for the attached files. Especially the article regarding the spray scrubber!.  

I was just asking if anyone has had any experience with a similar issue. 

Best

Xambis