Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crude Tank High Ph In Water Drain

refining crude oil crude processing tankage crude storage high ph desalter desalting operation

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Jaguar_011

Jaguar_011

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:19 AM

Hello all, We have had a problem of pH variation in our Crude desalting system. To find out the root cause of variations in pH at similar caustic injection, we checked the pH of water drain from crude tank (after giving 24 hours settling time to received crude ) and pH was found in the range of  1 ~ 2. We have been trying to figure out the problem by randomly checking the crude lorries but we haven't found any thing relevant. We have analyzed TAN of crude also and it ranges between 0.02 ~ 0.06 which is quiet normal for our case. 

What could be the reason for such a low pH and what tests can be run on received crude to find out the problem? 

#2 Jiten_process

Jiten_process

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:53 PM

The information is too little to answer. Infact, the problem seem to be coplex and i dont think, on this forum you would get exact answer as it needs lot of information/documents/data to be analyzed and exchange of information. Nevertheless, what I can think of (not sure it is helpful though) is that the such a low pH in my view is a sign of formation of strong acids. If your well stream has high acid gases plus produced water and operating pressure is high then it may have formed strong acids reacting with produced water on carbon steel material. but this should not happen to a new facility, is this the old facility ?

Edited by Jiten_process, 03 September 2020 - 12:53 AM.