Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Methyl Chloride Abatement Technology

voc abatement

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 AndyChemEng

AndyChemEng

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:34 AM

Hi all,

We have a waste gas stream comprising of several VOCs that we would like to treat sufficiently enough to comply with the new mass threshold of 200g/h Total VOC limit in the near future.

We currently employ a cryogenic condensation system (-40oC) but would like to add a DMF purged scrubber (0oC) and then a water scrubber. This arrangement will remove all the VOCs down to a small level except methyl chloride!

I'm not keen on installing a thermal oxidizer due to: cost / availability issues / complexity / furans / environmental damage via CO2.

Is anyone aware of any novel or alternative abatement technology that is applicable to methyl chloride that doesn't involve a thermal oxidizer?  

Regards

Andrew

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

https://www.messergr...as-purification

Hi,

Consider the link above , 

May be more efficient than your current set up ?

Good luck

Breizh 

#3 jcb994

jcb994

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:42 PM

-40 C does not capture MeCl?  Perhaps look at increasing the surface area?  You can always do carbon filters but depending on mass flow could be changing them out pretty regularly.

#4 AndyChemEng

AndyChemEng

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the link and replies, much appreciated.

I'm thinking that my only alternative to treat methyl chlorides economically versus a thermal oxidiser is to install an abatement system (liquid/gas nitrogen cooling) targeted at the units responsible for emitting methyl chlorides.