Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Htri / Team Requirement Shell And Tube With Inlet Axial Nozzle

htri tema shell and tube inlet axial nozzle

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 LNGprocesseng

LNGprocesseng

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

Dear all,

I am designing a shell and tube heat exchanger with the following process characteristics:

-Tube Side: Gas Refrigerant

-Shell Side: Fresh Water

I get a constraint from general installation of my project to put "axial inlet nozzle" on tube side and I have a warning on HTRI software which is a copy/paste from TEMA:

"Consideration shall be give to the need for special devices to prevent erosion of the tube ends under the Following conditions:

- Use of axial inlet nozzle

- Liquid pv2 in excess of 6000 (8928)…."

Regarding the pv2 criteria, I am very far from this limit however I do get an axial inlet nozzle.

My question is quite simple, I don't get the requirement, which special device am I supposed to provide due to the fact I use axial inlet nozzle, if any ? Or is it just generic warning message?

Thanks in advance, I did not find any similar topic on internet.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

That is a general warning message when axial inlets are used. There is nothing keeping tube side inlet from directly impacting the tube ends and the warning is to 'consider' whether the tube ends need additional protection from impingement. If you determine that tube end erosion is a concern, you could add an erosion protection plate or install ferrule inserts into the tube ends. But if you 'consider' and determine no additional protection is needed, then all is well.

Reply to this topic