Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Basket Strainer In Vacuum System

basket strainer vacuum system

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sam6516

Sam6516

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:50 AM

Can we use a basket strainer to be used in a vacuum system to collect solid carryover from a reactor? Is basket strainer suitable for vacuum application?

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:05 AM

Hi ,

Difficult task .... Can you increase the pipe diameter at the outlet of the reactor to reduce the velocity ?

To me a strainer is not suitable for this application ? limited efficiency and difficult to operate ( vacuum leak) . 

May be a baffle inside the reactor to change the direction of the flow will be an option ? 

Where is going the liquid after condenser ?  Can you  wash the gas stream by spraying some liquid ? 

My 2 cents

Good luck 

Breizh 

#3 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

Hi, 

Particulate carry over to the vacuum system would be harmful to the vacuum pump or ejector due to erosion of impeller or ejector nozzles.

As Breizh suggests, baffle (damper) inside of the reactor, and liquid-washing may reduce large portion of solid particle carry over.  In addtion to these I recommend a liquid injection in the vacuum line, followed with a cyclone (single or double) in front of the vacuum pump.   But additional two bag filters (one for stand-by for quick change over) may also be required to protect the vacuum pump.

~Stefano Kim