Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Kettle Reboiler Equalizer Level Line .

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Alzahrani700

Alzahrani700

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

Is it possible to have an equalizer line to equalize the level in parallel kettle reboilers .

Due to reboilers fouling I noticed the deferent percentage on both reboilers affect the level controlling in both since we have only one LCV and the selector is in one reboiler.

After we cleaned one of the fouled reboilers we kept the selector on the fouled one to avoid having high level but the just cleand one becomes on low level .

Also I noticed the vapor return temp for the cleand one is relatively hi than normal I think even shell side where tube bundle is on low level . What about the weir shouldn’t be designed to make sure the bundle is submerged ?

If the equalizer is possible wouldn’t be helpful in this case and would delay the fouling time if the load is the same on both reboiler ?

I’m not familiar with engineering and design I’m operator Thanks in advance

Edited by Alzahrani700, 09 November 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:22 AM

Is it possible to have an equalizer line to equalize the level in parallel kettle reboilers .

Due to reboilers fouling I noticed the deferent percentage on both reboilers affect the level controlling in both since we have only one LCV and the selector is in one reboiler.

After we cleaned one of the fouled reboilers we kept the selector on the fouled one to avoid having high level but the just cleand one becomes on low level .

Also I noticed the vapor return temp for the cleand one is relatively hi than normal I think even shell side where tube bundle is on low level . What about the weir shouldn’t be designed to make sure the bundle is submerged ?

If the equalizer is possible wouldn’t be helpful in this case and would delay the fouling time if the load is the same on both reboiler ?

Hi,

At a glance appears you can consider such equalization line....

But to be able to provide a precise and proper response, please upload a simple sketch of the parallel reboilers system you described...

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

The installation shows the effect of a poor design. If you provide a sketch, I will suggest proper modifications. Or control modifications. Maybe.

Bobby

#4 Alzahrani700

Alzahrani700

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

Many Thanks for the replays .

I can’t post the original drawing due to company privacy policy .

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

I hope this is helpful .

Edited by Alzahrani700, 10 November 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#5 Alzahrani700

Alzahrani700

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

At a glance appears you can consider such equalization line....

But to be able to provide a precise and proper response, please upload a simple sketch of the parallel reboilers system you described...

Thank you for your response .

How can it be achieved ?

Does connecting 3” line from the bottom of each reboiler shell side just before the weir to the the other reboiler enough to do this balance ?

#6 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:03 PM

Doesn't line 2 go to both reboilers?  If so, line 2 is a common line connecting both reboilers before the overflow weir.  How big is line 2?  Probably >> 3".  I know, it also carries the bottoms flow under gravity flow, but it's probably equalizing the two reboilers too.  What is the bottoms flow?

Without flows, elevations, pipe sizes, and other details, I'm tapped out.

#7 Alzahrani700

Alzahrani700

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

Doesn't line 2 go to both reboilers? If so, line 2 is a common line connecting both reboilers before the overflow weir. How big is line 2? Probably >> 3". I know, it also carries the bottoms flow under gravity flow, but it's probably equalizing the two reboilers too. What is the bottoms flow?

Without flows, elevations, pipe sizes, and other details, I'm tapped out.

Thank you for your response .

Inlet line 24”
Tow Vapor return lines 24”
Bottom outlet line 12”

60 psi steam line inlet 16”
Steam outlets line 6”

Bottom flow is C3+ varies depends in the columns feed rate .

#8 Alzahrani700

Alzahrani700

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:50 PM

I have read that the disadvantage with kettle type reboiler is that there is lack of flow circulation make it more likely for black powder and impurities to settle specially at the end of tube bundle just before the weir .

If we connect the equalizer in this point wouldn’t help in this case ?

Reply to this topic