Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Engineering And Simulation Tools-Biotechnology Industry

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:08 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to transitio into biotechnology industry from chemicals/oil&gas. In the latter weuse conventional software like aspen to optimize processes, develop flowsheet, optimize and also calculate CAPEX. I am wondering how much adaptaion is needed to transition these skills successfully in the biotech industry?

do these tools continue to be useful? I beliueve you mostly encounter small scale batch processes with unit operations like chromatography, filtration, batch reactors etc. whi may not be easily available as custom blocks in aspen plus.

how can a process engineer(conceptual) with process flowsheeting skills contribute in biotech industry?

Please share your thoughts

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

Check for SuperProDesigner by Intelligen , this software is designed for Biotechnologies .

Good luck

Breizh  

#3 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 04:22 AM

Okay thanks. I am assuming the variety of problems that you encounter in oil&gas/petrochemical which you can address via tools like aspen will be far less in Pharma. Superpro is just another simulator like aspen. Aspen itself has batchplus which it says can be used in pharma/biotech. But I do not have a feel for how good they are and how useful they are. Number of reported validations is particularly less