Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

References For Preliminary Controls Design(Conceptual)

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:27 AM

Hi all,

Most of the times when we design conceptually for chemical processes, we have a flowsheet from a simulator with H&MB, and do preliminary sizing of equipment using appropriate software and some preliminary costing using software again.  what I want to know is if I need to generate preliminary PFDs out of my conceptual design I also need to design preliminary control schemes for major equipment(or be in a position to review the control schemes designed by somebody else). Unfortunately, controls are not taught in depth in undergrad.

Can you point out a succinnt online source or a book where I can get this knowledge or practice? Please dont rcmmend books by Luyben or Stephanopolous etc. i already know these. I am not interested in math or theory behind controls and not looking to become a controls engineer. I need to be able to specify control philosophy in a conceptual design package and/or design or suggest control schemes for a conceptual PFD, that's all. To this extent any online article or e-book or portions of a book will also be helpful sources. Any online course(like on edx or coursera) is also welcome. Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks