Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Tray Efficiency

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ProcessEng_12

ProcessEng_12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:19 PM

Hi everyone.
I am working on column model (Radfrac) in ASPEN PLUS.
There are two types of efficiencies mentioned in column setup i.e. murphee and vaporization efficiency.
Can anyone please help me explain the difference between the two?

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

Try your favorite search engine. Also, use each in your model and see how the results differ.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

http://www.separatio...on/MainSet1.htm

Consider the resource above and don't forget your best friend "google or others".

Good luck

Breizh 

#4 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

You most likely want to use murphree efficiency, vaporisation efficiency doesn't work well for distilation columns.  In any case, if you tuning to a real column, tray efficency is simply a tuning factor.

#5 ProcessEng_12

ProcessEng_12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses.

I am able to understand the difference by reading various articles and also the ASPEN Plus help.

I would say Vaporization efficiency is pretty straight forward i.e. it is ratio actual vapor composition on a stage to the ideal vapor composition.

Whereas, Murphee efficiency is the ratio of actual change in vapor composition across a particular tray to the ideal change in vapor composition (if in equilibrium) across same tray.

Taking it further, I am still not able to find a article which states/answers "when to take which efficiency" question?

One can change and tweak efficiency just to match the ASPEN model and get the desired temperatures for plant match case.  But while column/tray designing during commissioning, which efficiency is considered, as it will affect the number of trays and ultimately the fabrication cost, operating cost (reflux, reboiler duty)?

#6 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:05 AM

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses.

I am able to understand the difference by reading various articles and also the ASPEN Plus help.

I would say Vaporization efficiency is pretty straight forward i.e. it is ratio actual vapor composition on a stage to the ideal vapor composition.

Whereas, Murphee efficiency is the ratio of actual change in vapor composition across a particular tray to the ideal change in vapor composition (if in equilibrium) across same tray.

Taking it further, I am still not able to find a article which states/answers "when to take which efficiency" question?

One can change and tweak efficiency just to match the ASPEN model and get the desired temperatures for plant match case.  But while column/tray designing during commissioning, which efficiency is considered, as it will affect the number of trays and ultimately the fabrication cost, operating cost (reflux, reboiler duty)?

As allready suggested, murphree efficiency.  Partly because were are you going to get your design values from?  Most available data is in the form of Murphree efficiencies.

Edited by SilverShaded, 25 January 2021 - 05:52 AM.

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

Hi,

Consider this resource to support your work.

Breizh 

#8 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:00 AM

You don't mention whether your trying to model an exisitng tower or not, however if you are do not forget that real world Tray efficiencies can be anywhere between 120% and 0%, regardless of what any theoretical correlation may suggest.