Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design Pressure & Vacuum Of The Storage Tank

fa

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sandesh4717

sandesh4717

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 04:55 AM

Dear All,

i am working the validation of the existing storage tank design validation , one of my assignment  is to validate the design pressure and vacuum of the storage tank,  for design Pressure i am able to calculate the MAWP but i am not aware how to validate for what vacuum the storage tank is designed ?

Your valuable inputs  are needed .

It is a monomer storage tank , which is designed for 200 mmwc Pressure & vaccum pressure design details are not known.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:19 AM

If the tank is not rated for vacuum, then it should not be used in vacuum service. So the design is 'no vacuum'.

#3 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:53 PM

I haven't done this before. However, here what I think shall be done:
Refer to the design code of the storage tank (e.g. API 2000). For sure the design code has a section relating the design conditions to the thickness of the various parts of the tank. In the engineering phase, the design conditions set the thickness. In your case, the thickness sets the design conditions (vacuum). Don't forget to account in your calculation for that there is a possibility the tank has degraded from its initial state (depending on how long it has been in service).

I understand that the above isn't a simple task to be done. Another item which can give a clue is the breathing valves on the tank. Doesn't it have one(s)? If yes, what are the set points?

Hope this helps...

Regards,

#4 horatorres

horatorres

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:46 AM

A simple way to know if a tank were design for vacuum, is lock inside looking if they have a vacuum ring device

https://www.pveng.co...essure-methods/

horacio

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:02 PM

i am working the validation of the existing storage tank design validation , one of my assignment  is to validate the design pressure and vacuum of the storage tank,  for design Pressure i am able to calculate the MAWP but i am not aware how to validate for what vacuum the storage tank is designed ?

Please refer to the following fact of API 650:

image_fnreqs.png

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

Let you review this post and attachments 

https://www.cheresou...ressure-vacuum/

Good luck

Breizh

#7 sandesh4717

sandesh4717

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 06:53 AM

I haven't done this before. However, here what I think shall be done:
Refer to the design code of the storage tank (e.g. API 2000). For sure the design code has a section relating the design conditions to the thickness of the various parts of the tank. In the engineering phase, the design conditions set the thickness. In your case, the thickness sets the design conditions (vacuum). Don't forget to account in your calculation for that there is a possibility the tank has degraded from its initial state (depending on how long it has been in service).

I understand that the above isn't a simple task to be done. Another item which can give a clue is the breathing valves on the tank. Doesn't it have one(s)? If yes, what are the set points?

Hope this helps...

Regards,

#8 sandesh4717

sandesh4717

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 06:54 AM

Hi,

Let you review this post and attachments 

https://www.cheresou...ressure-vacuum/

Good luc

Thanks breizh for the clarification