Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pipeline Of Pump

pumps centrifugalpump npsh pipeline

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 EngrHamza

EngrHamza

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

Hi 

I hope you all are fine and doing great 

I am designing centrifugal pump. The only data I have is pressure difference means inlet & outlet pressures and temperatures. I didn't know pipe diameter, velocity, area etc...I performed discharge calculations and for that I choose schedule 40 pipe with 3.5 inch nominal pipe size. Now for suction section the pipe size I choose is greater then that of discharge section (greater in term of diameter).

Is it correct or not ?

Can we choose same diameter at both side ?

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

Almost all centrifugal pumps have a suction pump nozzle and suction line larger than the discharge pump nozzle and discharge line.  Browse through a centrifugal pump catalog and see for yourself.  A common pump size format is (discharge nominal size) x (suction nominal size) - (casing size/maximum impeller size), for example 1.5x3-13.  Take a look starting on page 17 of the .PDF I linked to.  On the first hydraulic coverage graph at the top left, you see the 1.5"x3"-13" pump.

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:15 PM

You will need the flow rate through the pump for proper sizing. The suction piping is typically designed for liquid velocity. There is a range of acceptable velocities, but you can use 2 feet per second for your student project. Take the volume flow, divide by 2 feet per second to find the cross sectional area of the pipe. Then choose a standard pipe size that comes close. Use that pipe size for the suction pipe and the inlet pump size. If a standard pump size is smaller, you use a pipe reducer at the pump inlet.

Edited by Pilesar, 16 August 2021 - 12:16 PM.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:26 PM

Hi Hamza ,

Consider the paper attached .

If you need a reducer , pay attention to the special design to prevent air pocket .

https://blog.craneen...-of-pump-piping

Good luck

Breizh