Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Chemical Absorption Of So3 (Sulfuric Acid Making)

#so3 #sulfuric_acid #chemical_absorption #reactive_absorption #kinetics #rate_of_reaction #design

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Franwis

Franwis

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 06:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently writing my end-of-degree project, whose topic is sulfuric acid production (double contact process). One of the tasks is the design of the intermediate and final absorbers, where the following reaction takes place:

SO3 (dis) + H2O (l) -> H2SO4 (l)

In the absorber, a gas current with SO3 contacts a liquid solution with sulfuric acid (l) 98,5 % (1,5 % H2O (l)) to produce more sulfuric acid (l), The liquid is dispersed in a packed bed. 

For the design of the reactor, I need information of the mass transfer coefficients (gas to interface and interface to liquid) and of the chemical reaction. Regarding the latter lies my problem: I can't find any information about the kinetics / reaction rate.

It is known that the chemical reaction proceeds very fast, so it's mass transfer controled. Nevertheless, for my project I need to calculate the Hatta number in order to check this.

Do you know if this information can be found in the literature? Where exactly? I tried Science Direct, pubs.acs but without success.

If the approach needed to solve the design is different, I would like to know more about it.

Thank you in advance!