Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Convert Kvs-Value For Water To Kvs For Gas?

kvs

8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Falko

Falko

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:43 AM

Hello,

for an instrument I have given the Kvs-Value for water and I want to convert it to gas. Can someone help or explain the calculation?

Of course i  have the formulas for liquid and for gas calculation.

How do i convert it?

Thanks for the help

Falko

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:58 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure i understand the query . Do you mean you have a control valve for water and you want to use it for gas ?

https://www.engineer...nts-d_1931.html

Breizh 

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:32 AM

You can transform Kvs into a dimensionless K value (or is it a C value in Europe?), then it can be used for all gasses and liquids alike.  Just use the correct equations for the situation - incompressible, compressible, choked, etc.  To transform Kvs just substiture the definition of Kvs into the Darch equation.  If this does not sound familiar, I recommend you seek and obtain Crane Technical Paper 410 as a reference.

#4 Falko

Falko

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure i understand the query . Do you mean you have a control valve for water and you want to use it for gas ?

https://www.engineer...nts-d_1931.html

Breizh 

Yes, it's a check valve and i have the Kvs for water and i need it for air, but i don't know how to convert it. The formulas for liquid and gas I know/have. Can i put the liquid Kvs on the left side of the gas equation and then e. g. calculate the volume flow? Kv=Vg/519 * root((rohGT1)/(delta p * p2)  I have a liquid Kvs and need a relation to a gas flow. Liquid Kvs is 42 m³/h for water, How much air can I put threw the valve?

Thx for your help.

Falko

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:33 AM

What is the numerical value of Kvs for water of the check valve?  What pipe diameter is the check valve?

Using symbology it is Kvs m3/hr at a pressure drop of 1 bar.

The Darcy equation for a valve is hL = K v2/2g.  Remember, K ≠ Kvs.

So calculate the velocity given Kvs m3/hr and the pipe ID.  Calculate the head loss that corresponds to 1 bar.  Calculate K.

Now use that K with the gas properties and the pertinent gas equation to get what you need.

#6 Falko

Falko

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:07 AM

I have the check valve DN50 with a Kvs of 42 m³/h for water. I want to use it for air. How much air can go through it? On one side is the atmosphere, on the other side is maximum -100 mbar.

How much air can go through it? Hoch much air will go through under this conditions? How much air at opening 100%?

Thanks for your help

Falko

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:53 AM

Hi Falko ,

It's difficult to understand your query .  A check valve is not an instrument , it's an equipment .Like any other fittings, it follows the Darcy Weisbach equation (head loss versus [ velocity or Flow rate } ^2 . 

BTW which type of check valve are you talking about? what is the brand? 

https://www.rusa-or....eck Valves1.pdf

In operation the check valve must be fully open  this means you have to find the relevant catalogue for this piece of equipment ( Internet is another option) and check its capacity for air .

My view

Breizh

#8 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:13 AM

Is the check valve spring loaded?  If so, what is it's cracking pressure (CP)?  If CP > 100 mbar, then flow is zero.  Is the check valve screwed, flanged or welded connections?

I can help get you part of the way to the answer with what we know already:

42 m3/h = 700 LPM.

In DN50 (2" Sch. 40 = 2.067" ID), v = 17.7 ft/sec (5.4 m/sec)

For a pressure drop of 1 bar (14.5 psi), K = 6.9 (dimensionless).  See attached .pdf.

If the check valve is not spring loaded, it has a relatively large resistance compared to 2" swing check.  What type check valve is it?  A lift check?

You see, we are guessing, because you have failed to give complete, detailed information.  

Attached Files

#9 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

Consider this resource :

https://neutrium.net...en-cv-kv-and-k/

Breizh