Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Petroleum Properties Standards

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 waheed2020

waheed2020

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 07:31 AM

Hi all,

I need standard specification for naphtha used in steam cracker, for example; Physical properties, Boiling rang, PIONA, industrial thresholds on contaminations ;metals and halogens, N/S/O etc also for diesel fuel and crude oil for a comparative study.

Can anyone send me the link or so.

Thanks in advance

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:00 AM

I think you will find there is no standard for steam cracker feedstock. Naphtha is different depending on what is available. When the cracker was designed, a composition was selected for the design basis but no one should expect to use that exact composition. Your plant should have a design book which might show the detailed feedstock basis. For comparing cracking slates, the Spyro software can be used if you don't have accurate yield curves.

#3 waheed2020

waheed2020

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 09:06 AM

I have naphtha boiling range derived from pyrolysis oil that is required for comparison. I should look for some random papers then. 

Thanks for quick answer.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 11:04 AM

Py Oils vary greatly depending on their source. For a student project, you will have a tough time getting the data you need for comparison. Yield slates vary by feedstock, but they also vary by furnace design and operating parameters. It will be difficult as a student to generate a yield slate from the feed composition to get a realistic result. If you are not comparing furnace operation directly, you may want to bypass the furnaces and try to find representative yield slates (compositions just downstream of the furnaces) so that the complicated cracking reactions are not included in your study. I think in the end for a student project, you would eventually just need to state your assumptions and let someone else try to prove the assumptions invalid.