Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Aspen Stoichiometry Reactions Related Question

stoichiometry reactors biomass lignocellulosic acid catalysts

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SteFanIstas

SteFanIstas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:51 AM

Hello

I am a new Aspen user and I need to set a reactor for my project. I have 2 inputs. One is a lignocellulosic biomass and the other is phosphoric acid H3PO4. In the stoichiometry reactions, what I should set? Each individual component of the biomass to be reacted with H3PO4? Do I also need to set reactions among the components themselves? For example, xylan with galactan etc?

Thanks for your understanding

#2 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 April 2022 - 04:43 PM

Do you know the reactions?

You have to insert reactants and products. And possibly the conversions if you know them!

#3 SteFanIstas

SteFanIstas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 08:20 AM

Yes. I know the reactions. Each component should react with H3PO4. What I am asking is whether I need to mix the components between them? To homogenize the mixture. Or should I leave them as they are. Discernible components with their solo reaction to be with H3PO4 but not among them

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 03:08 PM

Computer models have different level of detail depending on what is needed. If you know the feed streams and product streams and just need a material balance, then you can ignore the reaction mechanisms and just set your product stream composition according to the mass balance. That approach would not answer questions about how best to operate the reactor, but would allow a material balance for the rest of the process. The answer would be accurate since you are the one who knows the correct answer and inputs it!