Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Line Packing

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

Below, in green, is a request that I  got from a client:

Line packing: pipeline to be considered as a buffer, time sufficient to fill the pipeline to MOP, to be determined; during start up, gas flow from pipeline outlet will be used as a fuel gas for the equipment (2500 Nm3 per hour), time to be determine for the consumption till pressure equalization from pipeline both ends.

Can someone help me to understand this request.

Regards,

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:22 AM

Ask the client to translate that sentence into English. I think the question is 'how long will it take to bring the line up to operating pressure while simultaneously withdrawing gas at a fixed amount?' Make a guess at what you think is meant including all necessary assumptions for a complete design basis and send it to the client for written confirmation.

#3 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:35 AM

Ask the client to translate that sentence into English. I think the question is 'how long will it take to bring the line up to operating pressure while simultaneously withdrawing gas at a fixed amount?' Make a guess at what you think is meant including all necessary assumptions for a complete design basis and send it to the client for written confirmation.

Many thanks Pilesar

#4 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 06:46 AM

Hi Pilesar,

Can you please advise if the below calculation makes sense?

Inputs:

MOP=28 bar

T=45°C

Q (pipeline inlet)=25000 NCMH

Withdrawal Gas Flow =2500 NCMH

Pipeline length / diameter= 94 km / 12"

In order to calculate the line pack volume, i used the following formula:

Formula_Line_Pack.png

Variable Description

LP

Calculated natural gas volume (in MCF) in a pipeline segment; the line pack.

Tb

Base temperature (in degrees Rankine) for line pack. The base temperature is specified as a system input (not per pack segment), but is user-configurable. The default value is 60° F, or 519.67° Rankine.

Tav

Average flowing temperature (in degrees Rankine) in the pipeline segment. See Average Temperature below.

Pav

Average pressure (in psia) in the pipeline segment. See Average Pressure below.

Pb

Base pressure (in psia) for line pack. The base pressure is specified as a system input (not per pack segment), but is user-configurable. The default value is 14.73 PSIA.

Vseg

Volume (in MCF) of the pipeline segment based either on the segment’s configured length and diameter or a user-configured volume. See Pipe Volume below.

Fpv

Supercompressibility factor for the pipeline segment. The supercompressibility factor is user-configurable for each pipeline segment. See Supercompressibility Factor below.

Cf

Volume correction (conversion) factor. The correction factor is user-configurable for each pipeline segment.

Results:

LP=185 MCM

Time = 185000/(25000-2500)= 8.22 hours

Regards,

Edited by ma7ersi, 19 April 2022 - 06:54 AM.

#5 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 07:57 AM

I don't do many pipeline calcs and I've never seen that line pack equation before. If I were the client given this, I would say 'it looks like that engineer knows what he is doing' and I would be happy. I think that if later it actually took 24 hours to pack the line, no one would really care what these calcs show. There is not a safety consequence and you cannot speed up the actual packing time with your calculations, so this seems just a planning estimate. Congratulations.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

take a look at this link , there are  examples covering the topic.

http://marineman.ir/...-Press-2005.pdf

Page 132 

Good luck

Breizh 

#7 ma7ersi

ma7ersi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:33 AM

Thank you Pilesar and Breizh