Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Opening / Closime Time For Esd / Edp Valves

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ADJEBBAR

ADJEBBAR

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 03:42 AM

Hi,

Upon activation of ESD / EDP switches during shutdown, we need to ensure the required travel time as per our performance standard. However there is no reference to assess the actual travel time of the valve since data is not available in the data sheet or in the SRS report (Process Safety time) for the IPF valves.

Can we consider  as a preliminary estimation one second for each inch of valve size as a base for valve closing time? Thanks

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:50 AM

Abderrahmane:

It is very difficult to understand acronyms when they are not defined in the same document or writing.  This is especially difficult to understand when the document is transmitted between different countries – even when the countries speak the same root language.  Since you are in Canada, I presume the following English terms:

ESD = Emergency Shutdown;

EDP = Emergency Depressurization;

IPF = Instrumentation Process Function (Valves?)

SRS = Supplemental Restraint System (a car's Airbag System)

I also presume Canada has governmental control and regulations regarding industrial safety – such as ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), CFR (Code of Federal Regulations), as well as other local or district laws and regulations involving human, environmental, etc., safety.  If so, does your organization (or industrial plant) have a department/individual who is in charge of meeting all necessary safety issues?

There is no international, United Nations, global, etc. agency or legal agency charged with establishing the same safety standards, requirements, or laws for everyone on earth.  Therefore, I recommend you resort to your local, state, or federal government regulations regarding a plant process emergency shutdown and any requirements on how fast a shutdown valve has to operate.  Even a written recommendation would suffice if there are no local standards or laws.  Safety is a very serious issue and someone has to address it.  I agree that a valve's closing time could be very important.

I don’t believe our Forum members can venture to consider or much less recommend what is the proper, legal, or “correct” closing time for a shutdown valve – unless they are experienced in Canadian safety regulations and requirements (assuming Canada is your location).  We don’t even know the fluids, pressure, toxicity, etc of the application.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

Upon activation of ESD / EDP switches during shutdown, we need to ensure the required travel time as per our performance standard. However there is no reference to assess the actual travel time of the valve since data is not available in the data sheet or in the SRS report (Process Safety time) for the IPF valves.

Can we consider  as a preliminary estimation one second for each inch of valve size as a base for valve closing time? Thanks

Hi,

Closing/opening times of an ESDV/SDV should already be reported in relevant data sheet for vendor consideration in valve mechanism. 

And yes, you can consider preliminary estimation of one second for each inch of valve size as a base for valve closing time...

Edited by fallah, 04 May 2022 - 11:37 AM.