Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Circulation Rate In Refrigerated Storage Tanks

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 02:16 PM

Dears,

Generally, refrigerated storage tanks (e.g. LPG tanks) are equipped with circulation pumps to keep uniform temperature of the tank content.

Is there any guideline or rule of thumb to what the circulation flow rate shaĺl be?

Appreciate your feedback and support...

Regards,

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 02:38 PM

I never used a circulating pump for such storage. Vapor generated from heat input is condensed and returned to the tank. So, where have you encountered a circulating pump?

Bobby

#3 ChEf

ChEf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:52 PM

On colder services, a minimum circulation is kept on lines which are not continuously operated.

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:04 AM

Is there any guideline or rule of thumb to what the circulation flow rate shaĺl be?

What's the maximum temperature variation target for the tank?  Use that variation as the temperature gain you would like to limit the circulating flow to, before it re-enters the vessel.  With the insulation spec used on the pipe, the pipe's diameter and length, and some conservative summer time assumptions, you can estimate the minimum recirculation flow.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:24 PM

Have you responders used circulating liquid for these storage tanks? I haven't seen the likes in 50 years of practice. A circulating pump and cooler are used for fermenters since they require operating temperature below ambient. Along with an agitator. But all my experience is for products of mostly a pure component.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 21 June 2022 - 06:27 PM.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:44 PM

Hi,

I have similar experience on a storage tank of butadiene (sphere) in Indonesia.

edit : I might be wrong .

https://www.reiproce.../6561-vopak.pdf

my 2 cents

Breizh 

#7 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:30 PM

On LPG, never. I’ve put tempered recirculating loops and feed loops on acrylic acid and methacrylic acid. I’ve put recirculating feed loops on DVB and slurries like itaconic acid.

#8 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 06:17 AM

I never used a circulating pump for such storage. Vapor generated from heat input is condensed and returned to the tank. So, where have you encountered a circulating pump?

Bobby

I have seen this for the LPG Storage Tanks in the middle east (in the GCC region mainly). 

Edited by Vegeta, 23 June 2022 - 06:17 AM.