Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

I Need Help With Making A Compact Water Condenser

water vapor condenser compact

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Jimsonweed

Jimsonweed

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:54 PM

I am looking to either design or preferably source parts to make a compact (no bigger than 10x10x5cm) water vapor condenser with a trap at the outlet. I am generating a flow of hydrogen from an exothermic chemical reaction (NaBH4 + 2H2O —> NaBO2 + 4H2) which is accelerated due to the presence of a carboxylic acid. I have a computer controlling the reaction inside of a reactor via pumps and valves and I am able to generate a flow rate of 8-10 SLPM of H2 for up to an hour given enough reactants. Everything is safely set up with relief valves and within a fume hood at a university where we rent a lab space for my company.

I am not really sure where to begin on this problem and what metrics are needed in order to size the system correctly. The smaller, lighter, efficient the system the better. The stream of hydrogen does not need to be completely dry, just dry enough so that, once it reaches a PEM fuel cell, water does not condense out and clog up anything. This system will act as a buffer to prevent acid/liquid water/byproducts from escaping and making their way into the fuel cell should the reaction become too vigorous. Right now we are using a jacketed glass reflux condenser and another flask as a water trap. I am guessing that I will need to know the gas stream temperature coming out of the reactor in order to size this system correctly. I am measuring the H2 flow rate with a calibrated mass flow controller.

What am I asking? I am asking for suggestions on how to approach this problem, what metrics I should focus on in order to size the system correctly, any papers people have read where they solve a similar problem, and links to existing products that either fit the bill or can be used as pieces of the system. I can access most papers through the university library which I have access to. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:06 AM

Some thoughts on your very small constraints...

Consider a tubing coil immersed inside flowing water. Consider jacketed tube. Look at personal computer active cooling contraptions for ideas. Perhaps a piezoelectric cooler would suit. Consider desiccant for water removal.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

To support your work: https://www.vpei.com...eat-exchangers/

You may find ideas and or consider contacting them.

Breizh

Reply to this topic