Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Loss Of Diesel Over Time In Storage Tank

8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 JTShank4

JTShank4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:19 AM

All,

I need to determine the temperature degrees F loss over time in a stainless steel storage tank.  The storage tank is non-insulated, but is inside the facility, which is not a controlled temperature. We are transferring diesel fuel at 140F into the tank and would like to determine at what rate we will lose heat. The diesel cannot go below 50F. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:45 AM

Develop a definition of the problem - PFD, tank inventory, tank construction, material flows, dimensions, local climate conditions, etc.  Nail down all the data, facts, technology, equations, and assumptions you need to solve the problem.  Are you looking for a static (no flows), or dynamic (with flows), solution?  Then, you have a go at the solution, attach it, and we'll be happy to look it over and reply with comments.  Along the way, if you have some specific questions, and not a general yell for help like the OP, ask away!

#3 JTShank4

JTShank4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:56 PM

I hope that this attachment will give all of the information needed to solve the problem. 

Attached Files

Edited by JTShank4, 03 October 2022 - 12:58 PM.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 03:52 PM

This seems rather foolish, unless it has been posed as a question for you to answer. In reality, the tank would be insulated and a heater would be provided. Or, one can buy arctic diesel.

Bobby

#5 JTShank4

JTShank4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:21 PM

This seems rather foolish, unless it has been posed as a question for you to answer. In reality, the tank would be insulated and a heater would be provided. Or, one can buy arctic diesel.

Bobby

Bobby, 

I want you to know that I completely agree with you. I shouldn't have to calculate the rate of heat loss because it is obvious that if the product is valuable enough then purchasing a heating element would be a no brainer. This is just what I have been tasked with doing. I think I am close to solving, just waiting for information from the tank provider.

Cheers,

From an annoyed engineer

#6 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 07:22 PM

A good reference for this problem is Process Heat Transfer by Donald Quentin Kern.

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

Agree with all comments from others.

a few documents to support your calculation.

Good luck

Breizh 

#8 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:00 PM

If you are working for an operating company I can understand such a request. Your leader doesn't know what to do, so he/she is just stalling. The motto is "do something even if it is wrong". Is the tank already installed?

Bobby

#9 JTShank4

JTShank4

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:05 AM

If you are working for an operating company I can understand such a request. Your leader doesn't know what to do, so he/she is just stalling. The motto is "do something even if it is wrong". Is the tank already installed?

Bobby

The tank is being installed next week. Its more of just having definitive evidence to convince the big man to spend the money. Thank you all for your help!