Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hydrogen Consumption In Water Gas Shift Reactor

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 afshinli

afshinli

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 08:38 AM

Hi to everybody

I'm working in hydrogen production unit that works with steam reforming process.

after changing of unit catalysts we have some problems!!!

the first that conductivity in deaerator is higher than normal range ( 120 micros/cm )!!

second that seems is relative with first problem is that in the out let of high temperature shift conversion reactor we have less hydrogen percentage than inlet of reactor!! that means in this reactor we have hydrogen consumption !!! please help me with your comments ...

for example : refromer outlet : H2=79, Methane=2, CO=4, CO2=14, N2=1 mol%

HTSC outlet : H2=73, Methane=2, CO=.2, CO2=23.8, N2=1 mol%

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 10:50 AM

I see no relation between the two problems you list. The material balance you provide does not balance. There are many more carbon atoms measured in the shift outlet than in the inlet. Resolve your material balance and identify why the sample shows extra carbon. That may be easier to track than hydrogen!

#3 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 11:01 AM

There is something wrong with the lab analyses of the HTSC outlet.

And if so then the analyses of the reformer outlet is also suspect.

See this old topic: https://www.cheresou...ormer-catalyst/

You can use the same technique that I used to verify the balance of atoms of all elements, both for the reformer and the HTSC.

#4 afshinli

afshinli

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 01:35 AM

I see no relation between the two problems you list. The material balance you provide does not balance. There are many more carbon atoms measured in the shift outlet than in the inlet. Resolve your material balance and identify why the sample shows extra carbon. That may be easier to track than hydrogen!

thanks for your answer ...

but what Couse that conductivity be high ?? I thought that one thing has produced in high shift rector!! like methanol or NH3 ...

I need your help

Edited by afshinli, 21 December 2022 - 01:36 AM.

#5 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 06:50 AM

If the deaerator in the boiler feed water system is off-spec, how does that cause a problem with the shift converter? Can you provide a process flow diagram and additional relevant details?

#6 afshinli

afshinli

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 09:59 AM

If the deaerator in the boiler feed water system is off-spec, how does that cause a problem with the shift converter? Can you provide a process flow diagram and additional relevant details?

thanks...

I think ammonia or other byproduct of shift reactor Couse that problem and deaerator cannot separate these gases ...