Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Propylene Glycol Cooling Water For Closed Loop Systems

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:36 PM

Hi Folks,

We have closed loop glycol cooling water inside the air compressor packages by Atlas Copco. Currently, we have 25wt% glycol water in the systems. 

It was made by mixing inhibited glycol water (PS55 by Parker) and utility water. Due to increased iron level (up to 50 ppm), we plan to flush the systems and replace it with new glycol water. Surprisingly, per lab analysis by ChemTreat, no corrosion inhibitor was in the samples. The 55 gallon drum costs more than $3200. I checked Parker website and didn't find much more information than the SDS.

I need your help:

Can we just buy regular glycol and mix in corrosion inhibitor? Is microbiological inhibitor needed?

Can you please provide some reliable propylene glycol manufacturers that I can get some quotes?

Thanks,

Leo

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 01:53 PM

No matter what answer you get in this forum, I suggest discussing your unsatisfactory experience with engineers at Parker Hannifin and Atlas Copco and asking their advice.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

Totally agree with Pilesar , you need to go back to the water treatment supplier to discuss the matter, they are responsible for the molecules and quality of the treatment.

Breizh

#4 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:22 PM

Thanks. I have sent our emails to these two parties and other suppliers. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of it.