Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hem Calculation In Hysys

hysys psv hem direct integration method

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SaintOlav

SaintOlav

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 05:40 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a dynamic simulation to simulate a blocked outlet scenario with PSVs using the HEM method. Using the built-in RV in hysys and specifying "HEM" as the calculation method would lead to having a very aggressive and sometimes wrong relief flowrate when the scenario is applied to the system (Error attached ) I was wondering if anyone has done/knows any example of HEM calculation as user variable in Hysys so that I can build my own method in the background of a valve and use it as PSV.

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers,

Attached Files

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 07:07 AM

Consider whether this article might offer a useful path for your calculations: https://www.chemengo...ves-two-phases/

#3 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 10:23 AM

SaintOlav,

it may depend from the specific application of HEM method...

if you wish to use HEM to design / rate a nozzle (PSV)  there are many threads on cheresources which can help, see for example

https://www.cheresou...ng-temperature/   which contains a VBA code,

you can adopt HEM (Homogeneous Equilibrium Model, meaning vapor and liquid at equilibria traveling at same speed) for solving several problems, for example to evaluate critical two-phase flow in piping (you calculate the speed of sound in two phases flow) etc.

Note that there are several variants including slip, frozen flow etc. just to mention a few, my copy of Prode Properties includes HEM, HNE-DS, NHNE,.. and each model has specific fields of application (again, there are threads at cheresources discussing this)

Edited by PaoloPemi, 17 February 2023 - 10:23 AM.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 03:43 AM

Hi,

Consider reading these papers. 

#5 SaintOlav

SaintOlav

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

SaintOlav,

it may depend from the specific application of HEM method...

if you wish to use HEM to design / rate a nozzle (PSV)  there are many threads on cheresources which can help, see for example

https://www.cheresou...ng-temperature/   which contains a VBA code,

you can adopt HEM (Homogeneous Equilibrium Model, meaning vapor and liquid at equilibria traveling at same speed) for solving several problems, for example to evaluate critical two-phase flow in piping (you calculate the speed of sound in two phases flow) etc.

Note that there are several variants including slip, frozen flow etc. just to mention a few, my copy of Prode Properties includes HEM, HNE-DS, NHNE,.. and each model has specific fields of application (again, there are threads at cheresources discussing this)

Thanks a lot Paolo! I started writing my own HEM calculation to calculate the relief rate. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to get the parameters based on the integreator time in dynamic mode. For example pressure at sim. time = 1 min and at sim. time = 1.1 min. So that I can make the vdp integral in order to get the max flux.

Cheers,
Amir