Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Solid Naoh Dissolving In Water

chemistry

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 lak1r

lak1r

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 05:56 AM

Hello,

I would like to do  4 % NaOH solution that is 40 degrees. I have got demineralised water that is 30 degrees and if  I add 7,2 kg of solid NaOH to 180 L of 30 degree water, 

should the exothermic reaction give approximately 40 °C  4% NaOH solution? (So the temperature should rise from 30 to 40 degree celcius?)

Could you give me some basic calculations?

What i have tried myself: 

moles of solute = 7200g/(40g/mol) = 180 mol NaOH

molar heat of solution: ΔHsolution/(moles of solute) = -44.2kJ/mol

heat of solution: ΔHsolution = -44.2kJ/mol • 180 mol = -7956kJ

masssolution = 7,2 kg + 180 = 187,2 kg 

ΔTsolution = -ΔHsolution/(masssolution • specific heatsolution) ≈

≈ -ΔHsolution/(masssolution • specific heatwater) =

= 7956kJ/(187,2 kg • 4.184kJ/kg°C) = 10,15 °C

So the final temperature would be: 30 °C+ 10,15°C= 40,15°C.

If i am wrong somewhere please guide me with this calculation. 

Also the same problem is with Hydrochloric acid solution. I am adding 32,5 %  (m.v) HCL  to 180 L of 30 degree water to get 3% HCL solution. So I add 16,6L of 32,5 % HCL to 30 °C 180L demineralised water.

How much will the diluted hydrocloric acid solution temperature increases after adding 16,6 L the concentrated HCL to 180 L of demineralised water that temperature is 30 degrees and concentrated HCL (32,5 %) temperature is 23 degrees?

Could you give me some guidance with this calculation?

Edited by lak1r, 10 April 2023 - 05:59 AM.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:12 AM

Hi,

Be extremely careful with those chemicals and the exothermic reactions, I got an operator badly injured during the process of dissolution of NaOH pearls in hot water. A lack of control of introduction of caustic leaded to a big exotherm and severe burns. 

Consider the documents attached to support. A good set of PPE is required. 

The problem is how do you manage the introduction of caustic soda? How fast ?

Let you study these 2 handbooks and follow the instructions related to the preparation of diluted solutions.

Good luck and stay safe.

Breizh 

#3 lak1r

lak1r

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

Be extremely careful with those chemicals and the exothermic reactions, I got an operator badly injured during the process of dissolution of NaOH pearls in hot water. A lack of control of introduction of caustic leaded to a big exotherm and severe burns. 

Consider the documents attached to support. A good set of PPE is required. 

The problem is how do you manage the introduction of caustic soda? How fast ?

Let you study these 2 handbooks and follow the instructions related to the preparation of diluted solutions.

Good luck and stay safe.

Breizh 

I Have the correct PPE. I will dissolve first 3,6 kg of NaOH in 20 L bucket that is with water and add it to the tank where is  the 140 liters of demineralised water. I very slowly add the bucket NaOH solution to 140 distilled water.

Later i will add again 3,6 kg of NaOH to 20 L of water in bucket and that bucket goes to 160 L of water that has already inside the 3,6 kg of NaOH. But i add the NaOH very slowly to the bigger container from the bucket of water.

Just previousluy i have done it with 20 degrees of water but now need to do 40 degree NaOH solution. I have boiler heater from i take the preheated water and mix it with cold water to 30 degrees. So after that i start adding NaOH powder to get 4 % solution. I do it very slowly. I put from the bucket the water to the big containter which i use our membrane washing. So practically i add 7,2 kg of caustic very very slowly from bucket of water over time to 180 L of water that is in 30 degrees. There shouldnt be anything dangerous if i do it slowly? What is your opinion?

My big question is that if I look your NaOH handbook then the solution temperature should increase from 30 degrees to 38 degrees?  Because on the chart 4% NaOH increases from 21-29 degrees and then should  from 30 degrees to 38 degrees if i do 4 % solution.

I dont know if my logic is correct but the temperature should increase around 7-9 degrees if I add 7,2 kg of caustic to 30 degrees 180 L deminarlised water.

If you have some more tips to give then i am happy to hear;)

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:35 PM

Hi,

Seems OK to me.

Breizh