Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Propane Product Temperature Correction Factor

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 loggrrr

loggrrr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 04:28 PM

I'm looking for the temperature correction factor chart for propane in degrees fahrenheit. I load LPG trailers. Given DOT regulations, we can only load to 80,000 pounds. Given propane's properties, the product temperature has to be corrected to figure safe loading percentages to accurately calculate product weight. I had the chart somewhere and lost it. The only one I've been able to find is in celcius which doesn't help me much

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 04:48 PM

Just convert Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

Will it help?

https://diversifiedc...ng-Tankcars.pdf

Note: I believe Bobby is spot on.

Breizh 

#4 loggrrr

loggrrr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 03:14 AM

While you're both correct, the chart I'm referring to, is down to decimal places per single degree temperature difference. I would wind up distorting the accuracy in the conversion. I would need to employ a spreadsheet or something and I'm not that technically advanced. The chart does exist. I had one. I just need to find it again

#5 loggrrr

loggrrr

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 03:24 AM

Page 4 and 5 of the pdf is similar. The chart i used to have didn't account for specific gravity. All I have to go on is product temperature. I can't get specific gravity until after I load and the BOL prints. Most loading is done without supervision and facility operators if present, aren't generally sophisticated enough to grasp the concepts discussed here

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 05:00 AM

Hi,

This means you have all the tools (tables) to perform the correction, as I supposed.

If I understand well, the reference for propane is 505 kg/m3 at 15C (59F), this means you can apply this correction factor using the second column of the table for the average temperature recorded during unloading .

another document based on temperature in Celsius:

https://www.ic.gc.ca..._Propane505.pdf

note: You should consider to invest in a metering station equipped with a mass flowmeter and totalizer to get all the data for reconciliation (mass, density, temperature) 

Cheers.

Breizh