Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Kettle Reboiler

kettle kettle reboiler heat exchanger

16 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Abdessamed1961

Abdessamed1961

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 03:51 AM

Hello everyone;

i would like to ask for your  help with kettle type reboiler design, i have an existing kettle reboiler that uses steam (hot side) to heat butane (cold side), i'm seeking to replace  steam with hot oil.

For Butane and steam i have all the properties (mass flow, temperature In and Out, density,specific heat...), and for hot oil the new heating fluide i have some properties ( density, specific heat, flash point, pour point, viscosity index, viscosity), i have the the heat duty and also the existing geometry (dimensions, number of tubes, area..).

My question is: how can i  find the mass flow and the temperature in and out of the hot oil rerquired to heat Butane?

i wish a beautiful day for everyone.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:53 AM

Hello everyone;

i would like to ask for your  help with kettle type reboiler design, i have an existing kettle reboiler that uses steam (hot side) to heat butane (cold side), i'm seeking to replace  steam with hot oil.

For Butane and steam i have all the properties (mass flow, temperature In and Out, density,specific heat...), and for hot oil the new heating fluide i have some properties ( density, specific heat, flash point, pour point, viscosity index, viscosity), i have the the heat duty and also the existing geometry (dimensions, number of tubes, area..).

My question is: how can i  find the mass flow and the temperature in and out of the hot oil rerquired to heat Butane?

i wish a beautiful day for everyone.

Hi,

As a simple and quick estimation you can use heat calculation formula Q=mcpΔT with knowing heat duty (Q) value and supposing the outlet temperature value is the same as that of the steam to keep the same temperature approach, then calculating the hot oil mass flow rate based on the relevant velocity criteria, and finally find the inlet temperature of the hot oil...

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 06:14 AM

Hi,

A few documents about Hot oil.

https://durathermflu...es/calculators/

May I ask why this change?

Good luck.

Breizh 

Attached Files

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:42 PM

If you don't have access to good design software you should engage the service of someone who does.

Bobby

#5 Abdessamed1961

Abdessamed1961

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 03:29 PM

- Thank you Mr.fallah, i tried that but i wasn't sure if what i was doing is the right procedure.

- Mr.Breizh Thank you so much for the valuable documents. the steam process got old and causing problems, so for a revamping we decided to change the heating process and switch to hot oil loop system. 

- Mr.bobby i use Aspen EDR but i prefer to carry my calculation manuallly then use the software.

#6 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:45 AM

So, do both then come back to us.

Bobby

#7 AnbIran

AnbIran

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 11:23 AM

Can anyone introduce a detailed guideline for hydraulics of kettle reboilers (or excel calculation sheet)?

#8 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 11:32 AM

Did you use Search on the site?  Did you not find what you are looking for?  Tell us what you have done.

#9 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

As suggested above: Guideline For Fixing Levels For Reboiler - Industrial Professionals - Cheresources.com Community

Breizh

#10 AnbIran

AnbIran

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 02:52 AM

Did you use Search on the site?  Did you not find what you are looking for?  Tell us what you have done.

Yes I searched on this site but couldn't find what I was looking for, anyway I followed detailed piping section and related help in HTRI software and could balance pressures ( a little higher pressure at return compared to inlet)

like always thanks a lot for helping and sharing and addressing documents and information. 

--------

But currently I have some problems on my final design.

The most important is cross flow velocity which may cause fluid elastic and fluid induced vibration. I can decrease this velocity by increasing bundle diameter or tube pitch, but currently I have already used high tube pitch ratio (1.33) and high bundle diameter ( currently 7 % overdesign with only 0.05 bar shell side pressure drop with a short length pipe as long as 3600 mm)

does anyone have any other suggestion to overcome this problem? my current bundle diameter is 600 mm, even increasing diameter to 700 which results 45 % over design cant decrease cross flow velocity enough. 

Edited by AnbIran, 11 February 2024 - 02:52 AM.

#11 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:41 AM

At my point, the calculated velocity is a local velocity and doesn't relate to the whole bundle where natural convection is working. I'm not sure that the kettle reboiler can have a vibration due to the shell side cross flow velocity. If it's local, I think there's a way to work around it mechanically.

#12 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:54 AM

Hi,

Additional document.

Note: take a look at Perry's chemical engineer's handbook and/or Kern Process heat transfer.

Breizh 

Attached Files

#13 AnbIran

AnbIran

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:52 AM

At my point, the calculated velocity is a local velocity and doesn't relate to the whole bundle where natural convection is working. I'm not sure that the kettle reboiler can have a vibration due to the shell side cross flow velocity. If it's local, I think there's a way to work around it mechanically.

yes, in some specific points of bundle velocity passes maximum acceptable critical cross velocity. 

#14 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 10:08 AM

The kettle has pool boiling. You only need to support the tubes in a kettle reboiler. The shell side flow is essentially vertical and conventional baffles are in the way. If your kettle reboiler is vibrating, there may be larger problems with your exchanger. Vaporizing butane with steam can be tricky if the temperatures are far apart due to high heat flux. Have you checked whether you are close to an unstable boiling regime? You don't want to make lots of bubbles very fast unless there is a good plan for the vapor to get away from the tubes. It would be wise to have your calculations reviewed by an experienced exchanger designer before committing to purchase.

#15 AnbIran

AnbIran

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 02:07 AM

The kettle has pool boiling. You only need to support the tubes in a kettle reboiler. The shell side flow is essentially vertical and conventional baffles are in the way. If your kettle reboiler is vibrating, there may be larger problems with your exchanger. Vaporizing butane with steam can be tricky if the temperatures are far apart due to high heat flux. Have you checked whether you are close to an unstable boiling regime? You don't want to make lots of bubbles very fast unless there is a good plan for the vapor to get away from the tubes. It would be wise to have your calculations reviewed by an experienced exchanger designer before committing to purchase.

Thanks my friend.

The calculated heat flux in my reboiler is far less than critical heat flux (order of 40 compared to 200) and the temperature difference is typical and suitable (around 50 Celsius degree) for heavy naphtha .

finally, I could overcome this problem by these three measures:

1- increased tube length to divide the flow which passes through cross area of each zone of bundle to more zones across length of tube, less flow passes flow area between tubes at each zone. I didn't decrease bundle diameter in result of increasing tube length, but if it is needed it can positively affect on decreasing cross flow velocity because the length of path (vertical path through bundle) decreases.

2- I used 45-degree tube layout configuration because it provides the most flow area perpendicular direction flow of cold fluid.

3- I used 1.33 ratio for tube pitch instead of 1.25 which generally are used. 

Edited by AnbIran, 16 February 2024 - 02:08 AM.

#16 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:37 AM

If you have vibration problem in a kettle reboiler (very unusual and I really cannot visualize how) then just add more tube supports.

#17 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:54 AM

Hi,

To support your work 

Breizh

Attached Files

Reply to this topic