Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation

distillation help student column vessel pump helpme diameter

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 refluxraider

refluxraider

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

I am designing a distillation column. I am yet to decide between plates and packing. Is this decision supposed to be made before or after an estimate of the column diameter? Also, different websites say different things. How do I calculate the column diameter of my simple distillation column? Please give a general equation without the reliance on packing or plates.

Thank you

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 12:57 PM

See this link for good free tower sizing documentation - the Glitsch Ballast Tray Design Manual Bulletin 4900: https://www.koch-gli...attachment.aspx. Columns with trays may be a bit larger diameter than packed columns because of the area needed for the downcomers. Koch-Glitsch also offers free tower design software KG-TOWER.

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 01:22 PM

In some services, you can use either trays or packing in the distillation column. In other services, there may be an obvious reason to choose one over the other. Packed columns can have very low pressure drop and are usually preferred for vacuum conditions. Trayed columns typically require less capital and are more tolerant to solids contamination and corrosion. Sometimes trays are chosen for initial construction and then replaced with higher capacity packing later when justified to debottleneck the plant.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

attached a document from Sulzer about structured packings.

Breizh

Attached Files