Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Diked Area Around Distillation Column

distillation diked area

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hysyshunter

hysyshunter

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:46 PM

Hi, 

I was wondering if it is safe to have a diked area around a distillation column, this would be made of concrete, because the contents of the column is flammable and the column is susceptible to weather conditions like tornados due to the location of plant and the fact that the column is outside. I read online that diking shouldn't be used around a process unit because the products could pool and have unwanted exposure to the unit itself, but i have been told otherwise. 

anything would help thank you :)

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 06:31 PM

Diking is usually used to contain spills of some kind. It is not usual to dike distillation columns unless there is an overriding safety or environmental concern that diking would resolve. I have seen where distillation columns were diked, but I think it more common to have process equipment within a curbed area that would route spills to a process sewer drain leading to an appropriate treatment system or at least to a separate containment basin a safe distance away from the process equipment. Fire protection guidelines may lead to some sort of full containment (dike) to reduce the hazard at nearby equipment. I don't like dikes in process areas and argue against them if there is any other reasonable alternative. In my opinion, dikes are more acceptable in storage tank areas.

Edited by Pilesar, 15 April 2024 - 06:32 PM.

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 09:59 PM

Our process areas are curbed and drained to a remote spill basin, where aqueous layer can go to WWT and organic layer can be contained for disposition.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:25 PM

I was wondering if it is safe to have a diked area around a distillation column, this would be made of concrete, because the contents of the column is flammable and the column is susceptible to weather conditions like tornados due to the location of plant and the fact that the column is outside. I read online that diking shouldn't be used around a process unit because the products could pool and have unwanted exposure to the unit itself, but i have been told otherwise. 

anything would help thank you :)

Hi,

The solution for protection of a distillation column against tornados in a process area is a strong structure not having diked area around it and the diking is mostly considered in storage area where there are huge volume flammable liquids inside the storage tanks.

#5 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:17 PM

Can you share the height of a wall intended to contain the spill you have calculated?

What is the problem if a spill goes to a sewer system (if any)? What are you trying to avoid by such design?

Edited by shvet1, 15 April 2024 - 11:18 PM.

#6 hysyshunter

hysyshunter

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 05:20 AM

Can you share the height of a wall intended to contain the spill you have calculated?

What is the problem if a spill goes to a sewer system (if any)? What are you trying to avoid by such design?

Im not sure on the height intended, the tallest column i have is 30m, the problem im trying to avoid are potential damage to the columns from tornadoes, so when such an event happens the contents of the column can be drained. Im  also looking for a some literature with equations or corelations 

#7 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 05:44 AM

The wall will protect columns from tornade, correct? Columns can be drained to what containment? Equiations for what?

Idea still is unclear.

Edited by shvet1, 18 April 2024 - 06:29 AM.

#8 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:52 AM

Hi,

My experience with a train of 12 distillation columns in China, is similar to the description provided by Latexman . The basin was 2000 m3 .

I get use to see dikes storage tanks, with partitions.

My 2 cents.

Breizh