Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Control Philosophy In Steam Reboilers

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 halkeshhulk

halkeshhulk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 01:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to understand why is Hydrocarbon outlet temperature in steam reboilers,control is given to condensate pot bottom valve drainage instead of inlet steam flow or pressure to reboilers?

Kindly guide me. What is the logic in it? What's wrong if temperature control is given directly to steam inlet flow or pressure?

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 01:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to understand why is Hydrocarbon outlet temperature in steam reboilers,control is given to condensate pot bottom valve drainage instead of inlet steam flow or pressure to reboilers?

Kindly guide me. What is the logic in it? What's wrong if temperature control is given directly to steam inlet flow or pressure?

Hi,

Is it a reboiler applied in a fractionation system?

Please upload a simple sketch of the system you described...

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 09:38 PM

If there is a condensate pot with level control then that may be serving the same function as a reliable steam trap. Check to see whether the condensate pot is level control only or whether there is a cascade from another control loop.There are situations where it may be good to control the condensate level in the exchanger to adjust the surface area available for condensing, but my guess is that is not the situation you describe. Usual practice is to control the chest pressure (steam condensing pressure) in the exchanger to adjust the temperature approach. At very low steam condensing temperatures, the chest pressure can operate under vacuum pressure which can sometimes make it tricky to discharge the condensate, but this is not usually a problem in the real world since the additional inerts resulting from vacuum operation tend to reduce the partial pressure of the condensing steam anyway.

#4 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 12:16 AM

see para. 17.1 https://a.co/d/2XsjtXP

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 12:34 AM

Hi,

Consider the resources attached to support your work.

Breizh

Attached Files