Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Age Impact On Pipe Roughness

oil and gas hydraulics pipe roughness

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Noman97

Noman97

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 04:14 AM

Dear all,

I hope you all are doing well in your lives. I'm a junior process engineer and currently working on an assignment relevant to pump evaluation for a different service than initially purchasedOne of the confusion I have come across during my calculations is regarding the pipe roughness of the pipeNormally 0.0018" is considered for a new steel pipe but how to find out the impact of age on this figure theoretically?  Kindly share if there is any standard practice or your experience to address this query. 

Background 

1. Pipe material - CS
  2. Time elapsed since in use - 15 to 20 years 
  3. The pipeline is a piggable multi-product dispatch line (Gasoline, Kerosene and Diesel)
  4. Line size and length - 6" & 650 m

@Art Montemayor @Bobby Strain @breizh @fallah @latexman

Thank you, looking forward to your kind responses.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 05:09 AM

Hi,

Consider this standard to support your work, related to condition (new or corroded).

Use your engineering judgment and or perform a sensitivity analysis on your system.

Good luck

Breizh 

Attached Files

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 06:59 AM

I have no experience in this, but I was curious.  I Googled "can pipe roughness be determined during line pigging?" and the results looked encouraging to me.  You said the line was piggable.  If you are concerned, I suggest you look into it.  At least get a quote to add pipe roughness reporting next time the line is pigged, so one can decide to proceed with it or not.  Maybe someone else here has experience in this.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 09:22 AM

Dear all,

I hope you all are doing well in your lives. I'm a junior process engineer and currently working on an assignment relevant to pump evaluation for a different service than initially purchased. One of the confusion I have come across during my calculations is regarding the pipe roughness of the pipe. Normally 0.0018" is considered for a new steel pipe but how to find out the impact of age on this figure theoretically?  Kindly share if there is any standard practice or your experience to address this query. 

Background 

1. Pipe material - CS
  2. Time elapsed since in use - 15 to 20 years 
  3. The pipeline is a piggable multi-product dispatch line (Gasoline, Kerosene and Diesel)
  4. Line size and length - 6" & 650 m

@Art Montemayor @Bobby Strain @breizh @fallah @latexman

Thank you, looking forward to your kind responses.

Hi,

As the pipe ages, the absolute roughness increases almost linearly with time.

As a very rough estimation, the pipe roughness after any years of operation could be simply defined as half the average decrease in the effective internal pipe diameter, 0.5(D1-D2), where D1 is the pipe original internal diameter for new pipe and D2 is its internal diameter at the time of the aged condition.