Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flash Drum And Separator

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Abdellahi

Abdellahi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 02:20 AM

Hello everyone

I am a student working on my final year project.

I am currently working on a project on which I have to separate a two-phase mixture. This two-phase mixture is obtained after a flash through a valve. I contacted a supplier who recommended a flash tank just after the valve then a separator. I don't understand why I need two separators. can't the flash balloon do the job alone. I should point out that after the flash I have a small percentage of steam. Is it because of this that I will need two separators.

the separator and the flash balloon are the same device? just one is used after a flash why is it named like this?

I'm at the end of my studies but unfortunately I don't have any perspective on all this.

Thank You

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:50 AM

Hi,

After the valve you only need 1 drum with 2 outlets (liquid /gas).

note: To clarify with you, your liquid is a single phase, not a mixture of organic + aqueous phases? 

otherwise, you will need a separator to separate the liquid phases.

In the future, you need to provide better information about your process to get a better answer.

CheCalc ‐ Equipment

Breizh

Attached Files

#3 Abdellahi

Abdellahi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:30 AM

Hello breizh, 

Thank You for the answer and  the document. 

Yes, my liquid is a single phase. 

To clarify the topic,

I have a large amount of liquid coming out of my process. I want to recover steam from this liquid to reintroduce into my process. So I expand the liquid in order to obtain steam by <Flash>.( If you have a another method to get steam from this liquid, I would like to know since I am at the end of my studies and developing other methodologies will be well received )

The vapor obtained after the flash is very low at around 6%. But at the end I want to recover very dry vapor.I want steam with a humidity level less than 5%.

I think the supplier offered me two separators because in my opinion after the first separation, the steam that comes out will be very humid so he offers a second separator to reduce the humidity.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

A booklet to support your work

Breizh 

Attached Files