Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Help With Designing Shell And Tube Design

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 BabyKFC

BabyKFC

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 08:06 AM

Hello, I am a student currently designing a shell and tube heat exchanger. The task is to design a heat exchanger to cool a stream from 81.8 to 30 degree celcius using cooling water from 20 to 40 degree celcius. I am currently facing troubles trying to meet the actual/required ratio of 1-1.3, getting ratios of less than 1. I have tried maximising my tube length and using the maximum guessed overall heat coefficient (250-750 W/m2.C) but the highest ratio I have obtained is 0.6. I am unsure of what to change further, please advise me if possible. I have attached the TEMA sheet below.

Attached File  TEMA2.pdf   42.57MB   26 downloads 

Attached File  TEMA1.pdf   42.67MB   41 downloads

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 04:51 PM

The exchanger is undersized. Try a 40 inch shell instead of a 20 inch shell as a starting point. After you get enough surface area, you need more tweaks. The baffles are very close. See how spacing them further out affects results. Try opening the baffle cut also. Confirm no fouling factor is correct. Normally, cooling water fouls over time. Heat exchanger design is an iterative process.

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,554 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

Consider the resources attached to support your work.

Good luk

Breizh

Attached Files

#4 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 11:00 PM

1/ Start with auto design mode, then modify the design proposed by software

2/ using cooling water from 20 to 40 degree celciusLookslike a mistake. What region is this cooling tower located? 

3/ Most properly designed cooling towers I have encountered had dT = 8-10°C. 20°C looks like an overkill.

Edited by shvet1, 12 June 2024 - 11:14 PM.