Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Calculating Psv Inlet Pressure Drop Including A Restriction Orifice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Hi,

I am looking at calculating the inlet pressure drop for a PSV. I am using a program called Pressure Protection Manager (from ExxonMobil) and it allows me to do so for normal PSV inlet piping. However, in this case I have a restriction orifice between the vessel outlet and the PSV itself. The Pressure Protection Manager does not allow me to include restriction orifii in the pressure drop calculations. I have been told that Pegasys can be used but I don't have access to this program.

Can anyone suggest another method in which I can do this? Thanks.

Helena.

#2 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:22 AM

I have one simple suggestion. You can implement it after evaluating it.

You must be knowing pressure drop of RO (restriction orifice). It must be available on its datasheet (if it is not available, you can find out by calculations). Now, deduct this value from actual vessel operating pressure for your calculation on your own program. Put this reduced operating pressure of vessel on your program.
i.e.
Vessel Pressure to be put on program = Actual vessel op. pressure - pressure drop of "RO".

I hope it helps.
Thank you,

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

helena,

If this is a Code application, I hope the flow area of the RO is at least as big as the PSV’s nominal inlet flange size.

#4 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

The only information I have on the RO is a datasheet from 1988 (attached). How do I determine the pressure drop? The size of the PSV nominal inlet flange is 3".

QUOTE (Nirav @ Dec 14 2006, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You must be knowing pressure drop of RO (restriction orifice). It must be available on its datasheet (if it is not available, you can find out by calculations). Now, deduct this value from actual vessel operating pressure for your calculation on your own program. Put this reduced operating pressure of vessel on your program.
i.e. Vessel Pressure to be put on program = Actual vessel op. pressure - pressure drop of "RO".

The pressure which I put into the program is the relief pressure (3067 kPag). Is this the pressure which I deduct the pressure drop of the RO from? The actual operating pressure of the vessel doesn't come into my calculations.

Thanks again.

#5 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

helena,

Excellent, you comply with that aspect of the Code.

#6 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (latexman @ Dec 15 2006, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
helena,

Excellent, you comply with that aspect of the Code.

Which Code is this, so I am able to quote in my calculations? I am unsure of how to proceed with my calculations.

#7 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

It depends on what Code your vessel was built to? Which depends on what country it was built in and in what country the vessel sits.

In the U.S., pressure vessels are built to the ASME Code and low pressure tanks are built to API standards. As such, there are parts of the ASME Code and API standards that address sizing relief devices.

Being from the U.S., I asked about a part of the ASME Code.

#8 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

Helena, I have to ask: What in the world is a restriction orifice doing in a PSV inlet line????

If you have no idea, then find out. If no one knows, have it removed immediately! Since the bore size is the same as the PSV inlet flange, I can't see what this item is doing other than adding pressure drop and this is not a good thing for the inlet to a PSV. You should be aware of the 3% rule and this RO may very well kill it.

You can look up orifices in Perry's Handbook and it will tell you how to go about performing the calculation. There are also many articles out there. You can Google "Restriction Orifices". You know the flow rate from the rated capacity of your PSV. You know your inlet pressure as this is the relieving pressure. You then solve for the downstream pressure.

As far as doing the PSV inlet line pressure drop calculation, you can use the Darcy equation for non-compressible flow if you wish since your pressure drop should not be exceeding about 3% of the PSV set pressure. You do not need fancy software to perform this calculation. Do you have a copy of CRANE Technical Paper 410? This will tell you everything you need to perform the calculation.

If you insist on using your software, then do the orifice calcuation off-line and add the pressure drop to the line calculation by converting the orifice pressure drop into a pseudo line lenghth; sort of an equivalent length.

Your goal is to see if you are violating the 3% rule.

#9 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

hello,

I will have to make the correction for vessel pressure.
Yes, you are right. While calculating, you must deduct the pressure drop of RO from "relieving pressure". Since your vessel pressure during relief would be higher than that during normal operation.

Further, whatever Mr.Phil said is correct. In general, there should not be any restriction to flow between PSV and the vessel being protected. But I have observed RO in following kind of application.

In reciprocating compressor circuits, sometimes if required, RO is provided on outlet nozzle of suction knock out drum based on pulsation analysis. This helps to reduce pulses being generated due to compressor operation.

Thank you,

#10 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Nirav @ Dec 15 2006, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In reciprocating compressor circuits, sometimes if required, RO is provided on outlet nozzle of suction knock out drum based on pulsation analysis. This helps to reduce pulses being generated due to compressor operation.

This is exactly the application that I have. There are pulsation dampener drums on the suction and discharge side of a reciprocating compressor. The PSV in question is downstream of the discharge pulsation dampener.

Thanks for all your help.

#11 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (pleckner @ Dec 15 2006, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know the flow rate from the rated capacity of your PSV. You know your inlet pressure as this is the relieving pressure. You then solve for the downstream pressure.

Since the RO is upstream of the PSV, isn't the relief pressure the downstream pressure and I need to solve for the upstream pressure? The pressure indicator is between the RO and PSV, hence the pressure downstream of the RO must be the relief pressure?

#12 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (helena @ Dec 15 2006, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the RO is upstream of the PSV, isn't the relief pressure the downstream pressure and I need to solve for the upstream pressure? The pressure indicator is between the RO and PSV, hence the pressure downstream of the RO must be the relief pressure?

Refer to attached sketch. I have shown 4 nozzles of discharge volume bottles. It can be two also.
Now, i'm not wrong, RO would be there on nozzles of dicharge volume bottle. But i'm not sure whether at nozzle C&D or A&B.

If these RO are just to supress pulsation flow, it won't have high dP compared to other RO used in process applications. Because the diameter of such orifice for pulsation application would not be very small compared to nozzle ID. We have had such application in one of projects. I had been told at that time that the main purpose of such RO is to alter the flowing pattern. Unlike other process applications, the purpose of these ROs is not to restrict the flow by providing high dP. Since many times pulsation analysis is carried out by compressor vendors, these ROs are supplied along with compressor.

Further, since these ROs are mounted on nozzles, I think we can consider to apply relieving pressure at the downstream of RO and then calculate the inlet pressure drop of line upto PSV. You can discuss this with other experienced persons in your organization. I'm also looking for other's point of view over here.

Thank you,

#13 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:14 PM

What are we trying to protect here, a vessel, pipe, the compressor, the dampeners, what? The line loss calculation starts at the item being protected. For instance, for a vessel you start the calculation at the inlet to the exit nozzle, taking into account the entrance losses into the nozzle as well as all fittings, etc. from that point up to the inlet of the PSV. If the RO pressure drop is small, OK then there may be no problem. Just check the overall pressure drop against the 3% Rule.

Again, the RO imparts a pressure drop, no different than a valve. The upstream pressure into the RO will be the relieving pressure minus all the losses between the item being protected and the RO. It isn't more complicated than this.