Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

H2s Detecting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Alawi

Alawi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:56 AM

Dear Every one,

This is the second time I post about the same subject and I hope the people responsible for this forum allow this repetition.
I strongly urge every one that has actually worked in a refinery or petrochemical plant that produced LPG to try and help me with the following information:

1-What are the exact methods used to measure the H2S content in the produced LPG?
Pleases give as much detailed information we can. Is there an online H2S detector and measuring device? If so what type is used? What are the limits of H2S measured? If there is no online H2S analyzer, what are the lab tests used to measure the H2S content? Please provide the lad test method i.e. ASTM # …etc.
2-Are other sulfur components (other than H2S) measured?

Kind regards

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hello Alawi,

One of the standard test methods for determining H2S/RSH content in LPG are ASTM D2420 (for H2S) and ASTM D6228 (for several S-compounds).
Concerning the on-line analyzers, AC Analytical Controls (AC) has developed Sulfur in LPG/Natural Gas Analyzer based on the Pulse Flame Photometric Detector. You can read more at: http://www.labx.com/...m?adnumb=303442

Sulfur species encompassed by this on-line method are: Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S), Carbonyl Sulfide (COS), Methyl Mercaptan (MeSH) and Ethyl Mercaptan (EtSH).
One extensive Google search will show many interesting results.

#3 Alawi

Alawi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

Zauberberg,

Thanks for website and other information, believe me I did google and google and google. There is a lot of information available on the web and in all cases it is very useful. I would like to know what other refineries actually do; I have never been to a refinery other than the one I work in. I want to know how they actually test there LPG for H2S. From these actual users you can exchange information about the methods applied and the ups and downs of each method.

S.A