Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Employment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

I am currently on a 4 month internship placement working for an established IT company in Dublin, Ireland as this is my preferred location to work. My role is a Process / Product engineer. Projects I am working on focus on process cost reduction, maintaining product reliability and specifications, and putting the spot light on any safety concerns. I have also worked for an Aero space company as a process engineer intern. This was a more practical role which involved several experiments and data analysis in order to innovate the process focusing in on certain unit operations.

I am entering the final year in a Masters of chemical and processing at Strathclyde University in Glasgow. My fourth year projects focused on brewing processes, thermochemical splitting of water and process control techniques.

Although there are many established engineering companies in Ireland, there are very few of these companies that focus on energy and fuel utilisation, which I generally would like to get involved in. I also like the idea of joining an engineering consultancy, as I am attracted to the variety of work and keen on gaining as much experience as possible. If any one could point me in the right direction of such companies in Ireland or offer any career advice based on there own experiences, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hey there,

There's definetly options for chemical engineering students in Ireland but they're almost all based around the pharmaceutical and biotech industry (Pfzier in Dublin, Eli Lilly in Cork for example). With regards to consultancies I know of one or two, the main one being arup www.arup.ie, not too sure about energy and fuel utilisation although I'm sure the larger pharmaceutical companies have divisions where that kind of work is carried out.

Hope that helps,

Winston.