Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Submersible Pump

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CS Kang

CS Kang

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:36 AM

What are the working principles of submersible pump? I've searched google but the results are not very fruitful. I'll be grateful if someone give me some websites or links relating to submersible pump. Thanks in advance!

#2 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:18 AM

Google "submersible pump" again. I don't know why the sites listed are not providing you with the information you seek. Perhaps you can tell us some more of what you expect or need to find?

#3 CS Kang

CS Kang

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

I want to find out the details of how the fluid is being pumped in a submersible pump in terms of energy terms. For example, centrifugal pump, pressure energy has to build up before the suction to transfer the fluid from higher pressure to lower pressure. The websites I've found like www.wikipedia.org provide the application and design of submersible pump and not much on the working principles. I dont have a clear view on how submersible pump works.

#4 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

The submersible pump will probably be nothing more than a centrifugal pump that can be totally submerged in the liquid to be pumped. The entire pump is submerged, the casing and motor. The motor is totally encased and sealed.

You calculate the head of this pump as you would any centrifugal pump. You need to perform a hydraulics calculation of your system to determine overall pressure loss from the pump discharge to your final destination. There is no suction losses (from a pipe) to speak of so you only need to be concerned about the minimum depth of liquid that must be maintained to get a suction head. This value can only come from a manufacturer for their model pump. For your circumstance, I would just assume no suction head on this pump so your total differential pressure will be just what you calculate for your discharge requirements.

#5 CS Kang

CS Kang

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

I've got your point pleckner! Thanks!